Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Are you a subcontractor or on his payroll as an employee? Do his other workers use your tools too? 18 sounds like a good start.

Nice work. I like the theory but not so much the layout of the panels. If you get an "after" shot with it all finished I would love to see it.

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
I'll preface this by saying I don't like heights.

Scissor lifts seem safe on the ground, but 30' up I can't stop wondering why this thing won't to over. Same with the boom. 30' is the highest I had to go thus far.

Any higher and I need to self medicate or something. lol

Those pictures, that's way too high

Attachments

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
The very first picture of the panels was the finished wall minus the tv in the center.

Louis is a sub contractor for a company and im subing for him i guess you could say. I get paid by a personal check from louis. And most the tools i use by myself except maybe the miter saw and tablesaw. But for the most part just me using them

Not sure how high these littl scissor lifts go. We are on concrete inside the building doing trim 12' high. Not real bad. I have used a 120 foot man lift (boom lift) working for another company years ago. Stretched almost straight up in the air. Little scary

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
Unless I'm wrong, you technically don't work him anyone? Right? Meaning, if y fall and injure yourself, would that be a workers comp claim?

Do you have insurance, etc.? Are you a business owner or an employee?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Louis uses another persons insurance and im supossed to be covered insurance wise but he made ne fill out a 1099 meaning i have to file my own taxes

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Im new to all this contractor sub contractor stuff. All i know is the company he subs for requires ins. So he uses a friends

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
I would stop working for him immediately. He sounds like a clown.
I know you have to eat, but I also get the feeling your smarter than that.

I feel like I'm in a bad posting-reading dream.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Well im trying to ride it out for a while. The company we actually do work for is a very large company and they are getting to know me and my work which i feel will be very beneficial in the future. And louis has years of experience so his name will be beneficial to my career as well. At least for now. Just trying to get my name out and get the experience i need so i can suceed in this line of work. I dont know if that makes any sense or not.

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
Louis, not having his own insurance is a huge red flag to me. Insurance companies are not stupid and they're in the business to make money. If something should happen and you need to file a claim, I think you'll be SOL.

I know you need to work. I get that, more than you know. But, be smart. How can you be a 1099 if he is paying by personal check? There are too many things that don't make sense now.

Why don't you go out on your own. Why don't you go get insurance, start a business and have Louis work for you?

Just be smart. Be safe.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
The company will only deal with him. The checks get written to the guy with the ins. Then i get paid. Louis pays him so much because we all were added to his ins and he pays the extra. Im covered i actually have a paper showing im on the ins policy as an employee of the guy with the ins. And the guy with the ins is charging 5% of everything which comes out of louis cut

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
But i understand what your saying completely. Like i said just trying to get my name out where one day i can go on my own and these companies will deal with me

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
On paper the guy with ins gets paid by the company because they will only deal with someone with ins. Then he takes his cut and louis gets the rest then louis pays me.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
And you may be right about me being sol. I would hope not. When you work as a subcontractor are you not resopsible for your own ins? I may go talk to a ins company .

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
It still sounds shady to me. With the circumstances you described, I wouldn't hire you guys. If you're covered, medically, in the event of accident or injury, however, then by all means soak up as much experience as you can. In that picture you shared, standing on the ladder: if you fell from that ladder and got injured hitting the ground, who would pay for your medical bills? Would you be paid while you were laid up and couldn't work? That would be my biggest concern.

I cut my teeth working for a pretty shady outfit. We did some dangerous things to get jobs done under the radar but I was covered under worker's comp and I always got taken care when I couldn't make it to work for a work-related injury. I didn't learn much about getting things done the right way but I learned a lot about problem solving and looking out for your own interests.

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
I've had friends ask if they could use my insurance to bid on a particular job. I always said no. The only way I know how to do that, insurance wise, it's to list me as doing the job on paper and on the insurance cert. Why would I assume all that risk for a few bucks? Crazy. I have insurance and I am an LLC but I'm not an attorney and God forbid someone get seriously injured in that job; that could effect my whole family! For a few bucks? Louis is using someone else's insurance and still hiring others to do the actual work.

I worked without insurance for many years like an idiot. I learned my lesson through the misfortune of others.

Just think this through thoroughly before you proceed. Be smart.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Thanks for all the advice. Im going to see about getting my own ins.when i get paid. I do know tennessee has screwed up labor laws by law employers dont have to have work comp until they have a certain amount of employees. I cant afford to sit at home injured.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
He says on paper the friend with the ins is the one doing the job and all of us are on his ins. Thats why carlos gets paid then pays louis and louis pays us. So basically i am carlos's employee and carlos filled a 1099 so he isnt responsible for taxes. Any of that make sense??

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
Here in Pa. one man band, comp not required, any additional employees it's required.

However, general liability is required. What happens if you injure someone? I could give you countless examples/possibilities. But let's say one of those panels falls or a nail gun misses the stud, fires right through the material and into someone or some thing?? Then what? Trust me, everyone is fat and happy when nothing goes wrong. When something does go wrong, which it will, it's like roaches with the lights turn on.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts