Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I guess ill start by telling a little about myself. Im 30yo and fairly new to the carpentry trade. I have quite a bit of electrical experience and left that trade to work on a line boat for about 5-1/2 years then got laid off. My cousins husband calls me one day and asks if i want to start working for him. And so the adventure starts. Ive invested quite a bit in tools which includes. A 12" dewalt slider and stand. Drill and impact. Circular saw. Portable table saw. Jigsaw. Orbital sander. Air compressor. Finish nailer. Brad and pin nailers and lots of other hand tools.

He put me to work as a sub- subcontractor i guess you could say installing cabinets. Trim. Doors and various other things. Mostly commercial buildings. He started me out at 14 a hour. Im up to 15 an hour now which according to my lead person that i work with is way under what i should be making. He says i do awesome work.

I figured i would join this forum to get tips and help with things as i go along. For the most part i pretty much have everything we do down pat just dont know all the secret tricks to make things easier and faster. And advice or tips would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Welcome! Have a look around, plenty of tips and tricks to be had.

You sound underpaid to me, especially if you're bringing your personal tools to work. It's tough because you're experience in the trade is limited. On the other hand, you're hardly some kid brought on for the summer. Bust your butt for a few weeks and then ask for more money. Technically subcontractors set the own prices and schedules.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah i bust my butt everyday. I know he makes $30/hr off of each of us. Top pay is 20 and lead pays 25.

And a lineboat is a large tugboat that pushes barges down the river. I was the first mate in charge of the crew that wires the barges together and whatnot

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here is some pics of a job i just finished. Wall was 16x28. Some panels are 2" some 4" and some 6" off the wall some overlap. Some had mirrors. A 72" tv is going in the center. It was for a clubroom at a apartment conplex.all the hardware was stainless steel even the hanger bolts all i can say is they had plenty of $$$$

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
They are just wood panels attached to a wall lol. Modern art i guess you could call it. Somebody drew it up in a office and said make it happen. No fuction just art. I cant say that i like it and it was a pain the the donkey to install. Had to drive hanger bolts in the walk then screw on the stainless steel stand offs then put up the 3/4" wood panels and hope the standoffs line up. Like a big jigsaw puzzle.

No sad to say i live a little far from you. In tennessee

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
I had no clue. lol
I thought they were some kind of new speaker or something.

I've been to Nashville once for music fest. Could hardly breathe it was so hot and humid, but the beer was cold and the music was loud. I thought it got humid here till I went there.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah i work mostly in nashville. Live about 45 minutes west of nashville. Yeah its pretty humid today. Been raining off and on.

Only had the one scaffold that belonged to another contractor on the job. The ladder is ours though lol. We normally dont do anything more than a 6ft ladder can reach. We are on a job now installing 12' crown in a new ashley furniture store but the company rented 2 lifts for us to use.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Don't fall for $15 hr.
Next job we start im telling him i want $18 i think that would be fair. He says he tops out at $20. I think 18 is fair for a while considering all the tools ive bought. Just bought a brand new dewalt 12" slider and stand about 2 weeks ago.

Only issue i see is he gets around $30 and pays me 15 so he makes 15 off of me so asking for 18 cuts his profit $3 hr. And i know he has expenses like insurance and what not. And i am resonsible for my own taxes

1 - 20 of 39 Posts