Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would really appreciate it if there were some experienced roofers that could stop by and drop some useful tips and tricks they have acquired over the years it would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance i am very glad to be here! Anything helps guys i know you can do it... .:clap:

information about roofing Broken Arrow

·
Business Owner
380 Posts
Nice SPAM link in your SPAMMER byline. You should be able to make some money with the advertisement on it: "Roofing Oklahoma, Contractors in Oklahoma ? You can rent this site today"

·
Registered
185 Posts
I would really appreciate it if there were some experienced roofers that could stop by and drop some useful tips and tricks they have acquired over the years it would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance i am very glad to be here! Anything helps guys i know you can do it... .:clap:

information about roofing Broken Arrow
I can give advice from a guy who has done some roofing but moreso as someone who did thousands of roofing inspections as both threshold engineering company inspector and city building inspector. Here are some of the issues which cost roofing contractors the most pain (pain is pronounced "money").

Know your slope. Here in Florida there are many buildings which were built in the 1950's with 1.5:12 slope and asphalt shingles. Code does not allow that. Minimum slope (at least when I was doing inspections) is 2:12. If you reroof that bldg you need to follow code.

Know your products. The product has to be approved by the manufacturer for the slope. Just because code says 2:12 minimum for asphalt shingles does not mean you can use a shingle where the manufacturer says 3:12 minimum. I think most said 2.5:12 minimum.

Know your codes. Different slopes require different underlayments. For us, it was (IIRC) <5:12 required minimum 15lb felt double layer.

We six nail shingles here.

Take the time to set the air pressure on your compressor. High nails will result in a hole over time. I've seen it many times. Low nails where the nail head is cutting into the shingles will result in massive areas of the shingles sliding off the roof en masse; I've seen it many times. If you're not going to nail it properly and professionally, don't do the job. It's all about the nailing.

Doing 90lb modified hot mop or cold process? Same issues. Check your slope (usually 1/4:12 min) on the products and check your code.

We have to have mastic under the drip edge and on all laps here.

That's about all I can think of. If anything comes up drop a question.

Welcome to the forum.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts