Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Thank you for your last post. being a somewhat contractor I should have known these things... So I have another question.. Really I'm starting out..

1)
I have a concrete pad 24x30 and I have a few high spots on my top plate after I have put it in that I noticed..

The worse one is in a corner that is about 1" higher than the rest of the wall. What should I do?

Should I.....

1) Plane the top corner with a hand planner and make it the same as the rest?
2) Should I use shimms and raise the rest up from the bootom to make it right? and then seal it on the bottom plate?
3) Should I use a chissle and cut about 1/2 to 1" out of the gable truss and the next one to make it work so that my roof looks right?

Any other ideas... ??

I have one bad corner and I dont want my roof to show this ? it can be fixed with drywall inside but the roof is what will show this error..

The high spot is about 3 feet long from one corner and runs down to approx 3 feet.

Any ideas would be great....

thanx again all..
Jody

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Jody,

Are your walls sheathed yet?

If not, since it's 1" higher at the corner and 3' in, this means it's the same both ways. String a line in between the two top plates and cut the top of the outside corner studs 1" and then cut the stud next to it whatever the line says. You might even have to cut the 2nd stud in. This will straighten your top plates.

Even if the wall is sheathed you can string the chalkline on the inside and cut the studs from inside and pull any nails out from the sheathing. Once your done you can bang the top plate down to level.

It's always a challenge when you frame on a slab especially when the mason pours a bad one. I always shoot a laser first. In your situation, I have a little trick that I do with a bad slab. I nail my shoe/sole plate down and mark 16" centers and cut the outside corner down first 1" and then nail the two outside corner posts on braced plumb and string a chalkine line across the top of the posts.

Once that's done I take the studs and stand one at a time up on the 16" center mark and just slightly touch the chalkline with the top of the stud sliding it left to right. That gives me a mark on the stud.

By doing that all the way down with every stud give you the exact height of each stud do to any variation in the bad slab. This will ensure you of having a straight and level top plate.

This drawing will show you what I'm talking about for your situation.

Hope this helps.

Joe Carola

Attachments

1 - 2 of 2 Posts