Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

hello america [from chicago burbs]

2K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  davids 
#1 ·
hows it going there everyone ?
been going through the past posts on this board for a couple of days now , wow .
what a resource !!!
you people [nb i didn't say guy's] must have hundreds of years of experience between you . fair play to all of you for sharing it .
i'm an immigrant from ireland [i've lived most of my life in london ,england ]
i've been here 2 years nearly , i love it here .
lots of good people ,lots of opportunities..
back home i worked as a general laborer for three years [before then i worked in kitchens ], i concreted,underpinnned,screeded, dug trenches,fixed tiles and grouted [briefly], hung drywall ,swept floors and demolished .
since arriving in the land of the free , i've painted and repaired drywall .
i'm doing courses in a local college in carpentry [here you people use alot of wood and not so much brick ] and plumbing [not something i knew anything about ].i aim to do a wiring class next semester
i'm setting up my own business at the moment , aiming at residential painting and drywall .
so far i've got a good liability insurance quote and a couple of projects i intend to do for materials and a low rate in return for use of photos on advertising .
any of you fine people got any extra tips as to starting in illinois ,in business in general ,or any advice .... welcome any suggestions .
many thanks

See less See more
#4 ·
Cole_21 said:
Welcome to the forum.
many thanks cole .
i had the privilege of drinking with some of your fellow statesmen in amarillo one night [one neither me nor my wife will forget !!] i've still got my "don't mess with texas " t shirt which gets some funny stares when combined with the accent !!!!
i keep telling all of them out here when they start going on about going to europe " screw europe go to texas "
hopefully some of them will listen .....

#15 ·
TimWieneke said:
Hello Davids. Is that Davids as in Davids Drywall or Davids Decorating or something like that? I've heard of you but don't know why. Did you ever work with Wieneke Construction?

Tim
nope can't say either of those is me , and no i've never worked for wieneke .
i've only been in the states 2 years , before then i was living in london england

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.