Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

helical cutter jointer/planer

3K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  Exlud 
#1 · (Edited)
Are they worth the cost increase over straight steel knives? Looking at upgrading my 3 kife Dewalt portable planer to a 15" craftex 3hp unit, and im tired of straightening stock with my track saw, so im also looking at their 8" 3hp jointer. I first used a helical planer a couple weeks ago (grizzly 20" extreme) and it was so quiet compared to my Dewalt. I can get both craftex units with helical heads for 4200 brand new tax in, about 800 less for straight knifes. Thoughts and opinions, please and thanks!

#6 ·
DC INC said:
Are they worth the cost increase over straight steel knives? Looking at upgrading my 3 kife Dewalt portable planer to a 15" craftex 3hp unit, and im tired of straightening stock with my track saw, so im also looking at their 8" 3hp jointer. I first used a helical planer a couple weeks ago (grizzly 20" extreme) and it was so quiet compared to my Dewalt. I can get both xraftex units with helical heads for 4200 brand new tax in, about 800 less for straight knifes. Thoughts and opinions, please and thanks!

Go with Ryobi arse hat lol

#7 · (Edited)
They make a huge difference. If you can't find one off the shelf for your machine, try Byrd Tool Company. I think they'll make one for just about any jointer or planer that you might have. One thing that is quite handy about them is that if you nick a blade, you just rotate the knife (or knives) with the nick and keep rolling.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.