Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Banned
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I had a call for a job yesterday. I will detail it here. The minute man silos are being removed in North Dakota. There are 60 pairs of 70' deep silos. The silos are totally self contained. Here is the issue. We did a lead abatetment job in 08' that nearly cost me my mind. This is also an ababatment, this time for chrome. I dont have time to look up all the current laws in north dakota for the contaiment disposal and hygiene for this job. I have 340 gals of non returnable tinted Acrylic to get on this week before it to cold this year for good. The weather is not helping. I dont know how this guy got my number and I dont care if I lose the job because I posted it. I am way jammed up and I could use the help on the law info. The current square foot for the job is 125,000. Figure at the highest for this type of coating 3lbs of sand per square foot. I will have to land fill it.

·
Banned
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
panderson2414

jimmy, I no think before talking me very sorry. Can you look up the laws of chromium disposal in North Dakota for me so I can get back to repairing my broken blast lights. Sthank you

·
Glen
1,504 Posts
Tony, how do you decide when to go that far with testing a job? Can you just tell when it's somthing an osha type of body will be watching. High profile things. My customers don't even want to pay sales tax, I wonder how some would react to my wanting them to pay for tests before they even higher me.

I think with mold and lead following the rules isn't enough, you have to be certified so who knows with Paul's job if he is even allowed to do it any way.

·
Banned
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
panderson2414

Blasters, this is a fly by wire thing tonight. I got the phone call yesterday. I have my plate full now. If you have time look into it. I would for you. I dont know how the paint came out heavy on chrome, I thought all levels of heavy metals should have proven positive. I guess and I am guessing that lead may have caused problems with electrical relays on the war head. Why base a paint on chrome in the sixties when lead was the best anti-corosive agent. Why cant they just cut the frames up? I dont have the specs in my hand and you have my first thoughts. Without the specs we are clueless. I would like your speculation.

·
Tony
213 Posts
Glen, I have to do this for any of my spent media I have. I call all the dumps around me to see
what I need to dump the media, when they knwe it was waste from sandblasting they all said they
do not except it. I was told that the county landfill was the only one that does and they say I need a
TCPL and paper work filled out and sent to them before dumping. I just add the cost into the price.
I do not break it down that far.

Tony

·
Glen
1,504 Posts
Thanks Tony. So far what I blast in my shop I just put in bags in my dumpster. They are aware of it and so far no problem. It's almost two hundred a month. I havn't had to clean up anything I have done on the road. Boats, autos, bilco doors... i just let the customers take care of it. I hope I can keep going that way.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Chromium is a very different animal than lead. Totally different guidelines and VERY Strict. It involves a blood test and a urine test through out the job. The Chromium comes from the use of coatings such as Zinc Chromates. This is some of the the effects of Chromium Poisoning:

• renal failure (kidney failure)
  • liver problems (elevated hepatic enzymes)
  • thrombocytopenia (low blood platelets)
  • hemolysis (breakdown of red blood cells)
  • gastrointestinal disorders
  • erythema/flushing/rash
  • rhabdomyolysis (breakdown of muscle fibers that can lead to kidney damage)
Need to also be aware of the cadmium level as well. It also affects the Liver.

·
Banned
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
panderson2414

Benny, I called my best blaster buddy he thinks this could be a good winter shot in the arm. I never thought of zinc chomates. Zinc chromated primer is legal, in Iowa for use as an anti-corsive primer. They use it as a base for L.P tankers. This will be a stepping stone for me. I have no idea how many other companies are bidding. Maguire Iron and steel is out there, they are huge, so are the big five from Mn, like I said we have a niche who knows what will happen. I would love the pay check but I am ending the year comfy, do I need the stress caused by Chromium? My buddy wants it he can have it Ill sub to him let him carry the risk while I zone on a hose.

·
Banned
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
panderson2414

Bulldog, I will be in Maumee this year and there is a huge new CPS plant going up next year in Ohio. When I go I would like to meet you two. I have to go on a contractors orientation in December in Maumee how far is that from you?

·
Banned
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
panderson2414

I put my face on my name, I would like to see some of you guys. Put a face on your names. Sandblastalk had become a way for me to get out of a boss man role everday and connect with people that feel the same way at the end or the day.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts