Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Home remodeling
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like an answer to a situation that I ran into today. A guy tells me that his crew can tape and mud a certain amount of drywall in two hours. He says the way they can do this is that they use heaters on the joints (I assume to dry the mud quicker). First of all, for the amount of drywall taping he's talking about there is no way he can do it that quick, especially since all of the seams he's talking about are butt joints.
But my real question is the following: Is it ok to use heat on a tape joint to dry the mud quicker, or are you setting yourself up for possible problems with cracked mud etc.
Thanks,
KJHC

·
Head sawdust creator
1,125 Posts
What is the rush to dry mud??? It is better to give each coat appropriate drying time as per manufacturer's specs.

·
Home remodeling
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the reason they don't want to wait is speed. Rush to get it done because they probably bid it too low and think they need to be out of there to make a profit. I have no problem with that to a point. I personally see way too many corners cut just to get out of there. And I have no problem with fans. I've used them myself. But I didn't think it was good to use heat unless like you said it's in the winter and wet.

Now, lets say you had water damage on a wall, and you cut out a piece of drywall about 8' long and 1' high at the base of the wall. So you had one 8' butt joint to tape and mud. If you had to cut the new piece and install it, and you used fans, do any of you think you could have that joint finished for painting in 2 hrs. and your not using 20 minute fast set. Or would you use fast set on a tape joint of that size?

·
Registered
Remodel
31,084 Posts
You'd be surprised how fast you can finish joints, even butt joints, if it isn't level 4/5.

You CAN dry mud faster with heat, but you can also over do it and have problems

·
Registered
Remodel
31,084 Posts
So you had one 8' butt joint to tape and mud. If you had to cut the new piece and install it, and you used fans, do any of you think you could have that joint finished for painting in 2 hrs. and your not using 20 minute fast set. Or would you use fast set on a tape joint of that size?
Butt joints are the best drying situation, as long as it's tight. 8' of butt joint with setting compound is pretty easy to do - I don't know if I could get regular mud to dry fast enough.

·
Remodeler
855 Posts
I totally agree with using the hot mud on this. If necessary, skim it with a little lightweight, on top of the hot mud it will dry rather quickly. I also agree fans would be the better choice to heaters here, provided it is at least 70 degrees or so.

·
Registered
Custom
13,678 Posts
You can use heat in the room, which dries more evenly, just not direct heat... you know, that ole expansion contraction thingy... :whistling

·
Registered
488 Posts
Yes direct heat can cause cracking it puts a crust on top and the moisture under can't dry. He may be using hot mud then using the heat to dry it after its set. But I see problems there too.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Most houses I work in they crank the thermostat up to 80 to dry em out faster.

·
Registered
544 Posts
If you want your mud to dry faster use durabond and use dirty or warm water to mix it. Or combine and it sets real fast. But only the surface fans and air movers yes no heat unless the building has no hvac yet

·
Registered
123 Posts
In my humble opinion, to get mud to dry fast, use in thin coats. On butt joints that means using a butt backer and on corners it means using a prefinished corner like one coat. FAns help a lot. The less compound the quicker it drys. Even with Durabond or easy sand. It adds to cost and slows you down in other ways though.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts