Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While browsing my daily list of tool blogs, I noticed that Makita is the latest to add a heated jacket to their line of "tools". Looks like it'll be able to run off 18 volt or 12 volt batteries, much like the other manufacturers.

I'm working on a full house gut/remodel and we likely won't have heat for at least a month, possibly more. Rather than freezing my yamsack off I thought maybe I could get one of these to make it a little easier on myself.

My question is, does anyone own a heated jacket, and have you found it useful? Does the battery get in the way of your daily general use, and how well does a battery hold up throughout the day?

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
While browsing my daily list of tool blogs, I noticed that Makita is the latest to add a heated jacket to their line of "tools". Looks like it'll be able to run off 18 volt or 12 volt batteries, much like the other manufacturers.

I'm working on a full house gut/remodel and we likely won't have heat for at least a month, possibly more. Rather than freezing my yamsack off I thought maybe I could get one of these to make it a little easier on myself.

My question is, does anyone own a heated jacket, and have you found it useful? Does the battery get in the way of your daily general use, and how well does a battery hold up throughout the day?
How will a jacket help the old yamsack? Better get some battery operated undies to go along with it. :laughing:

·
Box Builder
6,320 Posts
That has got to be the stupidest thing I've heard. No offense. I think that is a joke. The last thing that gets cold is my core. And I learned how to dress appropriately for the weather when I was 10

·
Registered
132 Posts
schaefercs said:
While browsing my daily list of tool blogs, I noticed that Makita is the latest to add a heated jacket to their line of "tools". Looks like it'll be able to run off 18 volt or 12 volt batteries, much like the other manufacturers. I'm working on a full house gut/remodel and we likely won't have heat for at least a month, possibly more. Rather than freezing my yamsack off I thought maybe I could get one of these to make it a little easier on myself. My question is, does anyone own a heated jacket, and have you found it useful? Does the battery get in the way of your daily general use, and how well does a battery hold up throughout the day?
I don't like big bulky jackets but I do like the Therma cell heated insole. My feet get cold easy.

·
Registered
324 Posts
You might want to check YouTube for reviews. I have the DeWalt one but have yet to use it.

It's comfortable and the battery sits kind of off to the side/back. Doesn't seem like it would be in the way.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Morning Wood said:
That has got to be the stupidest thing I've heard. No offense. I think that is a joke. The last thing that gets cold is my core. And I learned how to dress appropriately for the weather when I was 10
I dress for the weather every day. Problem is that it sometimes appropriate weather wear involves a bunch of layers. Agility is one of the reasons I'm looking at these jackets.

·
diplomat
5,292 Posts
I aggree it seems pretty stupid (though the snowmobile jackets are great) but coming from working at 40 below, I know that if your core is warm, then your extremities are warm.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I just picked up an M12 heated jacket last week. 100% worth the investment. I'm currently in a building with no heat and constantly working inside and out. Helps me stay warm on top of all the layers I wear.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Morning Wood said:
Why come on here and insult people with these kind of comments? Seems like an ignorant response. Using a heated jacket allows fewer, thinner layers so you don't look like the little brother in A Christmas Story.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
How is the durability of the Milwaukee jackets? An amazon review I read mentioned that it may not be suited for daily use by a contractor. Her review was based on her husband using it to walk to the store to get his coffee in the morning so her experience may differ. I'm more specifically looking at the Bosch jacket since I have a few 12 volt Bosch batteries that haven't seen the light of day yet. I would imagine the Bosch would be of similar quality to that of Milwaukee or dewalt.

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
onmywayup said:
The concept seems useful, but it sure seems like it would be annoying to have a battery in my pocket (or the like), especially if I had a full belt on.
I could see that with an 18v battery's but must of the 12v ones are small

I have been considering the Milwaukee one since I already have the battery's. I just wasn't sure if it would have the longevity to last all day or if I would need to switch out battery's every few hours?

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
They sound like a good idea to me, if you get too warm you can always shut the heat off and it's just a jacket. On the description of the Bosch jacket it says it has a USB port for charging electronics, I guess I'd never have a dead cellphone again...

·
Fine Handcrafted Opinions
994 Posts
I'm not sure if this exactly makes sense, but I'm against them for the same reason I'm against electric blankets. I'm already pampered enough by living in a climate controlled house, and it seems like my internal furnace is going to get weak and lazy, or at least screwed up, if I have a blanket on me keeping me the exact temperature I need so it never has to do any work.

Same with working outdoors in the cold. Forget the battery operated jacket. Layer up and be a man. It'll put some hair on your chest. It'll keep you healthy and make you appreciate that hot cup of coffee at the end of the day.

Plus you won't be screwed when you're out of batteries and it's 15 degrees out. I say battery operated heated jackets are for girls.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Golden view said:
I aggree it seems pretty stupid (though the snowmobile jackets are great) but coming from working at 40 below, I know that if your core is warm, then your extremities are warm.
That's just not true? Or at least it can't be for everyone.

My hands and feet start getting cold wayyy before my body. Doesn't even have to be too cold outside.

What about frost bite?

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
ClaytonR said:
I'm not sure if this exactly makes sense, but I'm against them for the same reason I'm against electric blankets. I'm already pampered enough by living in a climate controlled house, and it seems like my internal furnace is going to get weak and lazy, or at least screwed up, if I have a blanket on me keeping me the exact temperature I need so it never has to do any work. Same with working outdoors in the cold. Forget the battery operated jacket. Layer up and be a man. It'll put some hair on your chest. It'll keep you healthy and make you appreciate that hot cup of coffee at the end of the day. Plus you won't be screwed when you're out of batteries and it's 15 degrees out. I say battery operated heated jackets are for girls.
I'm still failing to see a difference between layering up and using a heated jacket. Both achieve the same thing, which is control body temperature. This is like a hammer vs nail gun debate.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Id never wear one, Swanndri bush shirt (modern day capote) swanndri ranger shirt and merino thermal top if its really quite cold, cold as it gets would be like minus 5 celcius though.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts