Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

41 - 60 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Expensive but worth it. I have 2 cause I wash one almost everyday.
Thanks! I popped over to take a look. For the price vs the guarantee....it's still a good deal. I like my Carhartt ball cap...but it's a whole different color on the hat but the Carhart logo stitched to the front....absolutely perfect. I'm not sure why I pay $20 a pop to advertise the brand name and wind up with the hat as secondary to the purpose of the purchase.

Thanks again for this good tip.

·
Radical Basement Dweller
25,833 Posts
Manly Blue! Those look a lot more effective than the little strip with adhesive on the back side. What's the name of those critters? Thanks!

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
I think I've had a heat related injury in the past. I used to be able to tolerate the hot days without much issue. Now I'm much more sensitive to them and have to take steps to make sure I don't over do it.

I drank nearly a gallon of water in 4 hours today, we poured concrete at 11am, and sweat was just running off me the entire time.

·
Premium Member
1,106 Posts
I think I've had a heat related injury in the past. I used to be able to tolerate the hot days without much issue. Now I'm much more sensitive to them and have to take steps to make sure I don't over do it.

I drank nearly a gallon of water in 4 hours today, we poured concrete at 11am, and sweat was just running off me the entire time.
I thought the heat was getting harder to tolerate cause I was getting old. Then I realized I was 30lbs heavier now than 10 years ago. After a high of 240 I’m down to 215lbs.
Not saying you’re fat but that was my experience.

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
I thought the heat was getting harder to tolerate cause I was getting old. Then I realized I was 30lbs heavier now than 10 years ago. After a high of 240 I’m down to 215lbs.
Not saying you’re fat but that was my experience.
I was 145 lbs when I graduated high school. I bulked from 145 to 175 one winter while lifting and eating (I got sick of being skinny) and hover between 160-165 now.

So I'm 15-20 lbs heavier, but the heat starting giving me problems several years after that experiment, early 30's probably.

·
Safety Third
Red Seal Carpenter
1,078 Posts
I've been pretty messed up by heat before, twice for sure, both pouring concrete for hours in 35°C temps. I threw up both of those times, stopped sweating, couldn't pee, cramped hard. I drink 4L+ a day if I can now, some days throw in Gatorade powder. Got a big sun hat I rock. If I feel myself getting to the brink, I drink pedialyte. It's the best, starts to help pretty quick. Learned that from my buddy who would cut weigh for MMA fights, would drink pedialyte to rehydrate after weigh in.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
51,689 Posts
Fact of life: As you age, your tolerance for temperature extremes becomes more narrow, both cold and hot. Don't bother asking how I know.
Don't have to. Yer old.

·
Registered
8,616 Posts
I also wear long sleeve shirts to keep the sun off, that helps a lot, the kind you might wear for ocean fishing

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
Fact of life: As you age, your tolerance for temperature extremes becomes more narrow, both cold and hot. Don't bother asking how I know.
My dad is going the other way. The older he gets the hotter he likes it out. 90 and sunny, doesn't phase him a bit. If it gets below 60 and I'm actually comfortable at work, he bitches about how cold it is.

For the life of me I can't figure out how people retire to places like FL or AZ.

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
I also wear long sleeve shirts to keep the sun off, that helps a lot, the kind you might wear for ocean fishing
I've been wanting to try out some of those UV blocking shirts that are super lightweight.

A few people have told me it feels like you aren't even wearing a shirt at all. I don't want a button up one though.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
51,689 Posts
My dad is going the other way. The older he gets the hotter he likes it out. 90 and sunny, doesn't phase him a bit. If it gets below 60 and I'm actually comfortable at work, he bitches about how cold it is.

For the life of me I can't figure out how people retire to places like FL or AZ.
Sounds like my wife. I can tolerate the AC in the house at 72, it's still warm. She likes it at 74 and she's still cold but I won't let her put it higher. Wear a sweater.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I've been wanting to try out some of those UV blocking shirts that are super lightweight.

A few people have told me it feels like you aren't even wearing a shirt at all. I don't want a button up one though.
I’ve gone for the moisture wicking sports shirts. Can find them on sale most of the time. Made by Nike ,underarmour, etc. For the pants I buy a brand called kuhl out of Utah. Like the radikl with stretchy panels. Costly but got tired of sweat soaked clothes. I still sweat a ton but the clothes dry out quickly and are much lighter weight.
Just don’t plan on doing any welding or heavy grinding. You’ll burn holes in the shirts. Ariat makes one that is fire resistant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Artist and not a curator
12,870 Posts

I wear them everyday. I made the switch a couple years ago and went nothing but them last year. My arms used to look Mexican and my chest the color of a pasty white German. Started getting a lot of sunspots and then come to find out, these shirts are much cooler even if I'm in the shop. The sweat dries much faster and your skin isn't absorbing the heat magnification of liquid being all over your skin.

·
GC/carpenter
GC/Carpenter
43,230 Posts
It's not out of the ordinary for it to get 110 here in the summer. I wet my shirt and put it on. I also wear a wide brim hat.

The only saving grace is it's very dry and humidity isn't really an issue here.

Also I've heard that one you've gotten heat stroke it makes you more susceptible to get it again.

Mike.
___

41 - 60 of 69 Posts