Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Happens every year....even today and we're still 2 weeks shy of the first day of Summer. I tend to forget that late Spring in Georgia are my couple weeks of stupidity. Temp goes up and the humidity climbs, too and I still try to wrap up the day as I would just last week.

That also includes putting away which is a 15 to 30 minute step....usually slower because I'm definitely working and walking slower....just trying to get off the job before I faceplant into someone's petunias....or concrete.

Taking up about 2 dozen extruded concrete honeycomb style pavers in order to install a heavy wall pvc conduit for a water feature as well as as power source to a small pump. In a bricked in courtyard with a SE exposure...the only shade coming from the house if and when the sun makes it way beyond the ridge....and a few hours before that even got close to me.

Yanking the pavers was not really a chore...digging the conduits in a sub-base of compacted crushed rock and dust (crusher run) and then rebuilding the sub-base and packing back level with a five pound hammer and a block of wood; bag of utility sand and dust for leveling and packing the stones in place while beating them into position and level with a mallet or hammer and wood block. Brooming sand and tamping the pavers to settle into the joint three or four times....I knew I was slowing down but I was making up on it by not taking a break for lunch or tea laced with Gatorade.

And that should be your first clue. I had been sweating like I should...but about the time I was picking up tools, I wasn't sweating....although things weren't cooler; but I didn't feel hungry or thirsty enough to stop what I was doing. However when the blurry vision came on and elbows started to cramp and then wouldn't straighten out...the only thing that came to mind was "dangit.....dumb arse. I need a place to sit down." and went over to my cooler and sat down and started to mix a 50/50 tea and gatorade to start putting away. The next thing I knew it was 90 minutes later...I was still cramped up, but starting to loosen a bit but a long way from straightening my arms out.

I was able to get anything expensive put up and left a note that I'd be back tomorrow morning to straighten up my mess and finish up.

It'll sneak up on you. If you're on the saw bench....your day is done. If you're going up a 40ft ladder....not today. Just tell the crews you need to lay out until you're able to drive and let it go. No one is immune. I was working in good weather for the last few months and then suddenly an early humid Summer...but I was still scheduling like it was in the 60's and 70's with low humidity. I wanted to stay on schedule and just didn't factor in what was going on....because I didn't know until both arms folded and the blurry vision and color dots started to show up that I screwed up again. Not as royally as the time I wound up in the passenger seat of a Deputy's vehicle with the AC full blowing and the emergency heat drink....or the day I walked over the owners pool and jumped in boots and all and hung on to the ladder while I cooled off.

I'm not proud....or dead. You do what you gotta do...but the first thing is just to know what time of year it is and adjust accordingly. Like I should have done. I knew it was hot, but I was immune to anything just a few days ago because it wasn't Summer yet.

Blurry Vision; weak or thready fast pulse; don't have any need to find a tree to "shaking the bushes, boss": light headed standing up or just standing....nausea may be an early indicator to start taking stock of what you're getting ready to do but if you pull your pencil down and can't draw a cut mark...even with a square....you're already in trouble.

Dan fell out today.
Dan is a Dumbass.
Don't be like Dan.

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
24,949 Posts
Timely reminder, Dan. I've hit the point a couple of times where I quit sweating, but not as far gone as you describe. Dunno if that means I'm smarter or just more of a wimp.

Nevertheless, it's something we all need to watch out for, especially us old farts.

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
Glad your ok Dan. Happened to me once putting cornice on solo. Luckily I got down on the ground safely & guy working across street came to my aid. (Thanks George). He got fluids in me & it was about 1 1/2 hours before I could drive home. Stayed home next day & felt bad all day long. Dirt guy’s son arms & legs locked up in a fetal position in hospital a few days same week. Great heads up for all

Mike

·
Registered
66 Posts
Thanks for the reminder Dan, I knew I was pushing it today (hit 100 here and I’m still adapting to the heat after a Minnesota winter) but in hindsight I might been pushing it even more than I thought, I didn’t go down but I definitely haven’t been feeling good either.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Timely reminder, Dan. I've hit the point a couple of times where I quit sweating, but not as far gone as you describe. Dunno if that means I'm smarter or just more of a wimp.

Nevertheless, it's something we all need to watch out for, especially us old farts.
Very Smart! Once you stop sweating, you are in heat stroke territory which in many cases requires emergency medical attention or one risks death. Certainly nothing to try to push through.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

roger that....it's sneaky. By the time I finally decided what I had gotten into....I was already into it.

My good lady wife gets a little weary about it at times. She has embarrassed me more than a few times by calling a client and letting them know that I'd just had a "spell" and please keep tabs on me especially if I'm not making any noise.

I've had clients walk out with a serving platter with a pitcher, ice and a glass while the rest of the team is standing there rolling their eyes. OF course they take a 10 minute break every 15 minutes labor.<G

I finally figured out that vision was the big clue for me. It was time to start doing something to avoid being off my feet for the day...or a couple of days recovery.

Working solo puts me on my own cognizance....as long as I recognize my cognizance is worthless, I just take a break between each chore underway. I don't get everything done that I would usually do in cooler weather....but at least I don't wind up in the neighbors pool asking forgiveness.<G

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
24,949 Posts
Pickle juice does help deal with the aftermath cramping, but I've never heard of it helping prevent the whole heat exhaustion thing in the first place. You have evidence of that?

Color me skeptical.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Pickles/pickle juice will replace sodium and some potassium. There is no concrete evidence to support using it to prevent heat exhaustion/stroke. In any case, it is a good idea to keep well hydrated which will help the most. Drink before you go out and continually while working in the heat, most importantly even if you are not thirsty You can also add a bit of salt to your water or utilize a sports drink. However, too much sodium can cause dehydration because water is pulled out of your cells to heIp get rid of the excess sodium.

On the other hand, too much plain water coupled with too much fluid loss through sweat can have an effect known as hyponatremia where sodium levels become too low. This condition can be seen in long distance runners. The key is balancing fluid loss with intake and everything in moderation.

·
Premium Member
1,113 Posts
This is simple for me fellas, if you aren’t using the jon once an hour, I’ll sit your arse in an air conditioned truck and dare you to leave before I come get you.

Never had a hand hit the ground and never found one willing to fight me over it.

I firmly say, “you are no good to me on the ground”

edit…I can throw a water bottle to the top if a 40’ ladder better than Tebow

·
Registered
11,374 Posts
Worth looking up how the us military addresses heat stress.

I would post a link, but I'm still trying to figure out this new tablet....grrrrr... I keep losing chit.

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
24,949 Posts
This is simple for me fellas, if you aren’t using the jon once an hour, I’ll sit your arse in an air conditioned truck and dare you to leave before I come get you.
Where have you been all my life? I've had days where I drank 2 gallons of water and never hit the john once. As long as you're replacing as fast as you're sweating it out, you ought to make it--at least in terms of dehydration. Never paid any attention to salts and whatnot; maybe just the luck of the genetic lottery. But if you want to gift me with an AC break, I won't turn it down. :LOL:

·
Premium Member
1,113 Posts
Where have you been all my life? I've had days where I drank 2 gallons of water and never hit the john once. As long as you're replacing as fast as you're sweating it out, you ought to make it--at least in terms of dehydration. Never paid any attention to salts and whatnot; maybe just the luck of the genetic lottery. But if you want to gift me with an AC break, I won't turn it down. :LOL:
I drink 2 gallons before lunch most days. Chit you not.

·
Registered
11,374 Posts
Too much water can be a bad thing also, but I have no idea how much is too much.

Keeping the body temp from elevating too much is key. In that event,, one of the military sites I saw mentioned rapid body cooling by immersing arms in cold water.

·
Premium Member
1,113 Posts
Too much water can be a bad thing also, but I have no idea how much is too much.

Keeping the body temp from elevating too much is key. In that event,, one of the military sites I saw mentioned rapid body cooling by immersing arms in cold water.
Short term; Too much water is when they puke. Call an an ambulance cause they need IV fluids.
Cold water on the inner forearms, never on the head. That’s an old rancher trick I’ve been told.

·
Registered
Remodel
29,620 Posts
The Mexican roofing crews would bring a big jug of cold water, oranges, and bananas up on the roof and took regular short breaks.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Pickle juice does help deal with the aftermath cramping, but I've never heard of it helping prevent the whole heat exhaustion thing in the first place. You have evidence of that?

Color me skeptical.
True. For me it's like magic if I'm paying attention and feel it coming on but once you're actually into the heat stroke/exhaustion zone it's probably like a bandaid on a .45 wound.

From what I understand it works well due not only to the sodium, potassium, etc.... but also the chemical reaction of the actual pickling.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts