Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I currently have a Goodman 4 ton gas furnace (GMP 100-4) in my attic, and I am considering adding A/C to the system. My options seem to be as follows a) add a cased coil to the eixiting furnace, b) replace the furnace with a new air handler. The contractors I have had bidding have been suggesting replacing the furnace since it is old, and I am leaning that way.

If I go with the new air handler, then I am wondering what the tradeoffs are with going with a heat pump vs. a standard A/C condenser with a heat strip. I live in an Southern Ca., where we only need A/C about 2-3 weeks out of the year, and winter temps never get much below 60. My reading suggests that is a good range for a heat pump, but I don;t know much about the relative efficiencies. Am I better off with a heat pump, or a furnace? Electric or gas?

Thanks
Doug

·
Registered
227 Posts
Newer heat pump are far more reliable and pretty efficient in moderate temp. zones. My question would be is which is cheaper in your area to run that "majority" of time is it gas or electric? Heat pumps also do not have the blast of hot air like gas furnaces. Many times it makes people feel like it is drafty and they are uncomfortable. Newer heat pumps thank goodness blow warmer air from the registers than they used to but still not the feel of a gas furnace. If you go heat pump, it would be advisable to have electric strips put in as backup/aux heat for if and when the unit were to need to go in defrost you would not be blowing cold air and in case of a problem with the heat pump, you can switch over and use the electric strips till it was repaired. If you are wanting to compare usage costs between gas and electric, go here: http://www.thermopride.com/pdfs/fuelcostcomparison.pdf and use those formulas to help aid your decision.

·
Registered
12 Posts
in southern cali i would just go with the electric strips in the a/c....you dont see temps lower then 60 do you? a h/p wont freeze in 60 degree weather.....a heat pump is alot more expensive then a/c with electric heat but the electric heat is alot more expensive to run then a heat pump....how old is your current furnace? since it probably doesnt get used alot it may be wise to just throw a coil and a/c on it....if its older then 10yrs or so you may be better off replacing everything.....

1 - 3 of 3 Posts