Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need an electric "heat on demand" hot water heater.

I am going to remodel my condo bathroom this winter. The bathroom looks funky because the hot water heater is located in the bathroom and has a custom cabinet built around it. The custom cabinet looks really funky and is the first thing you see when you walk into the bathroom.

I was looking into the heat on demand heaters that are pretty small. What are the benefits besides size and energy effeciency? Is there any draw backs I should be aware of?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I think the efficiency of the tankless water heaters is more fiction than fact, in real life. If you get a small one, it may not be able to keep up with the demands of a shower. But if you have a very small tank type, you may be very limited anyway.

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
BobF said:
I think the efficiency of the tankless water heaters is more fiction than fact, in real life. If you get a small one, it may not be able to keep up with the demands of a shower. But if you have a very small tank type, you may be very limited anyway.
I can shower for 40 mins with my 30 gal. tank. When I shower is the ONLY time I have to myself so I like to shower and shower and shower. I shower until there is no more hot water. I am investigating these tankless heaters. If they can deliver a 30 min shower I am sold.

·
Registered
70 Posts
yeah i see it alot in european area ( i am oringally from france) and they use both electric and gas tankless water heater but they few diffrent size you can use but bear in mind is that when you slect the size you have to figure the number of fixures, like shower , sink , tub, etc..etc.. by gallons per min or liter per min then add all the figures if you expect to use the same time , some unit will handle it pretty good some are not too well but i try to rember one company did have multi stage tankless heater , it start out with low setting first like sink facuet (tap) but when go to shower or tub even washing machine the setting on heater go up higher. some unit can draw so much juice like 1 or 2 electric stove going full speed between 6 to 18 KW of power. so it is fine for point of use but for whole house hot water heating system there is a trade off between the two.

i hope i can help you more with this one

merci, marc

·
General Contractor
1,035 Posts
Most tankless instant water heaters can provide enough water to run 2-3 fixtures at the same time. If you think about it being called tankless - it provides continuous hot water so it can run that shower for however long you want to shower. My suggestion would be to look into gas fired and not electric.

added... look into Takagi - they are the ones that I believe bought out Myson who I have used before.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts