Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
heat gun/solvents/scrubbing/scraping to remove caulk will ruin granite & tile sealer?

hello,
won't solvents like denatured alcohol/mineral spirits/bleach/ caulk remover products and/or a heat gun/scrubbing or scraping to remove old caulk also remove tile & granite sealers and thus that area should be resealed? If so, can it be resealed after instead of before new caulking? Scraping was, but I don't think solvents were mentioned to possibly ruin sealers in everything I read, but it makes sense that if a solvent helps remove caulk, then it will remove the sealer also.

Will just lightly using a heat gun to dry the joint fast before new caulk affect sealers? My heat gun doesn't have a fan-only setting. My shopvac can be used as a blower but it will probably shoot dust from it's filter into the joint, so I'd fix a filter to the tip.

Mold in the joint needs bleach scrubbing regardless if the old caulk comes out %100 without solvents/scraping, which it won't, and I don't want to mess up any sealers or surfaces. any suggestions ? thanks.

·
Kowboy
2,469 Posts
gunner666:

Sealants are notoriously difficult to get out of stone; in fact they make special strippers just for that purpose. None of the chemicals you mentioned are going to do much.

I'd rip some plastic laminate into 1" strips. Break off a 6" piece and you've got a scraper sharp enough to remove caulk, but won't scratch stone. When it's dull, break it again. Clean the joint with acetone; it dries almost immediately then caulk. When it's cured, reseal if it makes you feel better, but I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Banned
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i'm sure i can find plenty of questions you've asked, mako, that I could have answered that you had to ask.

Kow, i think I might get a 1" plastic putty knife instead of the laminate. And then not seal it like everyone else.

·
Banned
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well this product http://www.homedepot.com/p/Motsenbo...ulk-and-Foam-Sealant-Remover-411-16/202103458

Motsenbockers Lift off silicone and sdhesive remover says on the label it works for Gorilla Glue and Great Stuff from tools, hands, fabric, carpet, glass, stone, ceramic tile, plastic, metal and vinyl surfaces. granite etc, like 20 things listed on the label with no warning about granite/tile/tub sealer removal or need to re-apply, so just keep the receipt and go to the manufacturer if the surface stains later from sealer being removed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts