Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you guys use for hearing protection.

Ear plugs

Earmuff protectors

I'm thinking of going to earmuffs. I won't lose them, easier to just drop around your neck when you don't need them. No ear wax!

I see these earmuff protectors that use batteries, they block loud sounds and amplify quiet ones?

I also see some that have radios in them.

·
Registered
318 Posts
When it's a situation that requires ear protection, I use earmuffs. Go to your local gunshop for good earmuffs. They have better ones than contractors supply shops I've found.

"I see these earmuff protectors that use batteries, they block loud sounds and amplify quiet ones?"

I have one of these for hunting but haven't used it yet. I don't know about it's use on the construction site. It's designed to muffle the report of a gun - that situation is just 1 to a couple big bangs during the whole day (unless you're waterfowl hunting in So. Illinois - then it's a war zone :) ) It's not like the repeated noise of tools.

Tim

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
TimWieneke said:
Go to your local gunshop for good earmuffs. They have better ones than contractors supply shops I've found.
Thanks for the tip, didn't even think of that.

I like the stethoscope type.
Leave it to you Rich to always show me how much I have to learn. What the heck is a stethoscope type?

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
I prefer the muff type but will admit to not wearing them as much as I should. I do always wear them around large powertools like tablesaws, planers and 16-92 TA's at full wind.

·
General Contractor
1,035 Posts
Our biggest problem is around grinders and that type of stuff. Muff types are nice around larger "shop" equipment as you can hang them near to the machines.
I was first introduced to the stethoscope types in the saw mill.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
I buy boxes of the expandable foam plugs like restaurants buy after dinner mints. They reside in the tool box for easy access and the guys use them consistently. When they're done sawing or jackhammering they'll quickly discard them rather than wearing them around unneccesarily and potentially missing an important audible cue (like a backup alarm, engine acceleration, horn, voice direction, etc.). I bought ear muffs a couple of times but they got so dirty so quickly that no one wanted them on their head.

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Rich, now I see what you were talking about, I have had those before. I like the way they work, but I keep snapping them in half all the time, I seem to be too hard on them.

Pipeguy, I see those quanity boxes of ear plugs too, but I'm trying to get away from them, I want something with more decibel protection then plugs.

Sounds like your guys would really be candidates for the ear muffs that block the really loud sounds and let normal sound pass through.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Glass has that certain knack......... or is that snack?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts