Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting ready to dive back into the self employed world and I was wondering what you guys are doing for health insurance.

Who do you use?
How much do you pay?
Do you have insurance at work?

Thanks!

·
Registered
18 Posts
For our small company the health insc.premeum was the same as a indivual coverage.
I have Blue cross. For a Keycare Family plan I pay $525.00 with a $750.00 deductable 2 adults and 2 chrildren. If you find something good passit it along. I'd be interested in checking it out. Or better yet group all us contractors together and form a large corp. for health insc. for all at a reasonable rate. Just food for thought.
Steve

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Blue cross isn't bad. I pay $92 per every 2 months for just me. $500 hospital and $20 doctor visit. Doesnt your wife have insurance you can go on her plan?

HCI you pay that much per what? Year? quarter? You can sometimes get insurance through trade orginizations that do exactly what you just suggested.

Hey nate maybe you can talk to a broker about that and hook us all up with a group rate :)

·
General Contractor
1,035 Posts
My company pays for mine - at about a little over 4k per year. It's spendy but I have a $0 deductible, $50 for emergency room, and $5 prescriptions...plus much much more. I think to have our daughter we paid $10 for the first Dr visit (nothing for the next or whatever it was) and $150 because they upgraded us to a private room. I'd say it was worth it when the full fledged bill came up to around $10k... I would probably pay it even for myself. It's through Cigna.

·
General Contractor
1,035 Posts
Trust me.. I never go to the doctor. My feeling is that they think a pill will cure everything.. and if it doesn't why they'll cut you open and fix it. Then after they cut you open they give you another pill that slows down your system so much that it can't heal itself anyway. I'd rather feel the pain.
But for the rest of the family it sure takes away any questions about them being taken care of.

·
Custom Builder
4,406 Posts
My favorate insurance, is the insurance that neither of my wives are coming back and thats good for thier health. I geuss you could call that health insurance. Bob

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Many small businesses join the local Chamber just for the group rates.

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Were considering some kind of group rate insurance right now because we want to keep our new assistant. He has a part time night job with health insurance and works for us full time without insurance. He's gonna burn out if we don;t give him a reason to quit his night job.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts