Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
I pay $90 a month for myself. PPO with Blue cross. My girl friend who is a nurse says I pay an extremly good rate.

I tailored my plan to my needs. I never go to the doctor so I have a $25 copay. There is no need for a $5 copay because that will jackup your monthly rates. Also since I never go to the doctor I never get prescriptions so I have a $30 or something per prescription.

I wanted the medical for the emergency room or cancer or something. That's all I need it for.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
I'm with you Grumpy except old enough to be your father.
I pay for catastrophic and long term ins. At 53 it costs $119 a mo. through AARP. My wife carries our day-to-day through her company.
Employees can opt for a variety of plans offered through the local Chamber of Commerce. Even the basic plan through them is quite good. I pay 100% for the basic plan to everyone and up to 75% for the family plan depending on years of service.

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Teetor that is very generous.

After I get married I will have insurance through my wifey who is a nurse and they get very good insurance. Once I get employees I will do something like Teetor stated probably group with one of my affiliations.

·
Premium Member
6,938 Posts
Wow, Im 21 and I pay $160 a month. Im not married nor have any kids, yet. My co-pay is $25 with hospital and i think $30 prescriptions. My coverage is through Unicare.

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
You did say you had multiple surgeries. Those types of things effect your premium. Also do you smoke? You ride motorcycles (I think that was a question they asked me on my appliation). DO you have a history of cancer in the family?

All these things effect your insurance rates.

·
Premium Member
6,938 Posts
Grumpy said:
You did say you had multiple surgeries. Those types of things effect your premium. Also do you smoke? You ride motorcycles (I think that was a question they asked me on my appliation). DO you have a history of cancer in the family?

All these things effect your insurance rates.

One knee surgery and 2 ankle. I do not smoke and never had :Thumbs: Cancer does run in my family and I do ride motorcycles so i guess ur right. I think i need to cut some stuff out. :rolleyes:

·
TRC
143 Posts
I'm leaving my nice secure well paying job with full paid benefits! :)

I will be doing state continuation (similar to COBRA) for 12mos at $654/month for me and my 2 daughters. ONe is 2yrs old & the other 10mos, i'm 34. Meanwhile the wife gets herself covered at work. I think NJ has one of the highest costs in the nation for hc.

·
Registered
8,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I left a nice secure job too TRC. My medical is about $900/mo on COBRA.

I'm looking around now for a better plan which is why I asked. I have GREAT coverage but its just too high.

·
TRC
143 Posts
Nathan said:
I left a nice secure job too TRC. My medical is about $900/mo on COBRA.

I'm looking around now for a better plan which is why I asked. I have GREAT coverage but its just too high.
Yep, same situation for me. I just don't know if there's a cheaper option for me right now. I'm looking into an HSA but it really isn't a mature product yet and so it's not offered by many providers. ARe you familiar with the HSA? Here's a link if you're interested:
http://www.sba.gov/news/02_27_4.pdf

I'm thinking about switching to a HSA plan after my continuation runs out. By then there should be more choices.

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
I left a nice secured job too, no health or medical benefits but I made a good commission with company car and phone. I did all this so I could have control of my own life.

Nate some orginizations have group insurance, like teetor said.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts