Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I Have a current opening 4'8", interior passthrough going from 9' ceiling kitchen into two story family room, and want to increase the size 4 more feet for a total of 8'8"( two feet on each side without support). Currently, there is a 2x10 header and I am thinking that I may be able to get by with 12's. My idea is to finish off with eyebrow arches opening both rooms up a bit. Size sufficient? Also, I had seen a trick where a master carpenter tore-out an opening to size; leaving the studs. He then cut the studs on one side and placed one half of the header. After securing, he went and cut the other side, placed in that header, then tacked the two together. Anyone tried this? I am not in the mood for jacks nor temp wall as kids are abundant. I am an experienced carpenter but am not an engineer. I have checked references and believe it can be done. THANKS in advance for all replies and lets hope that 2010 is a good year for all of us!!!!!

·
Registered
6,102 Posts
The lumber yard where I get my glue lams from can calculate the loads and tell me what size glue lam I need. Try and find similar in your area.

I would A frame support, take out the existing, and install the new.

You will need continuous support to footings for the posts under the new beam.

If you check your building code book, it should tell you what size lintle you need.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Unless you can calculate the wind, snow, and combination dead/live loads you will need an engineer.

·
Registered
6,102 Posts
I've got 40yrs into the trade, have my journeymans' ticket - C of Q. I am still learning after all these years. My ego won't allow me to call myself a master carpenter.

Maybe I am, maybe not, I would think if in the eyes of your peers you are then they would be the judge of that.

I think I need two or three more lifetimes to learn everything. :laughing:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
WOW...we must be bored...a framing load question turned into a definitions quest....the "master carpenter" is a title one supposedly bestows upon himself after achieving great prominance in all phases of carpentry...he can throw-up a house, trim it out then build all the furniture i guess...aka bob vila type. can we get back to the post? Thanks.

·
Registered
3,485 Posts
I Have a current opening 4'8", interior passthrough going from 9' ceiling kitchen into two story family room, and want to increase the size 4 more feet for a total of 8'8"( two feet on each side without support). Currently, there is a 2x10 header and I am thinking that I may be able to get by with 12's. My idea is to finish off with eyebrow arches opening both rooms up a bit. Size sufficient? Also, I had seen a trick where a master carpenter tore-out an opening to size; leaving the studs. He then cut the studs on one side and placed one half of the header. After securing, he went and cut the other side, placed in that header, then tacked the two together. Anyone tried this? I am not in the mood for jacks nor temp wall as kids are abundant. I am an experienced carpenter but am not an engineer. I have checked references and believe it can be done. THANKS in advance for all replies and lets hope that 2010 is a good year for all of us!!!!!
What do you mean he cut the studs one one side? A notch?
Is the wall a bearing wall? If it is you better brace it up.
If not , you might not even need a header.

·
The Duke
14,746 Posts
WOW...we must be bored...a framing load question turned into a definitions quest....the "master carpenter" is a title one supposedly bestows upon himself after achieving great prominance in all phases of carpentry...he can throw-up a house, trim it out then build all the furniture i guess...aka bob vila type. can we get back to the post? Thanks.
LOL, you aren't seriously calling Bob Vila a master carpenter.

You still need an engineer.

·
Builder/Remodeler
3,705 Posts
I am not in the mood for jacks nor temp wall as kids are abundant...
Mood?

Don't judge the advice you're given on the basis that it doesn't conform to what you want to do. Several responders above I would consider masters of what they do. Take the tongue-in-cheek stuff the way you would on any jobsite, and heed the advice.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Use pillars?

What if I buy two wood pillars, mill-out for current studs, and wrap these around the framing already in place for the 4'8" opening. I would increase each side by 2' by removing one stud on each side. Tossing a 2x10 on each 2' run and call it a day. This would allow for a decorative approach with the eyebrow arch without a lot of risk and probably a lot less work. I am trying to keep down cost so $200 on a couple of pillars would beat an engineer cost.

·
Registered
3,485 Posts
Sounds possible, if that is what you want. Are the studs on each side of this opening an equal distance away from the king studs?
Is there wiring, plumbing, etc involved?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Mood?

Take the tongue-in-cheek stuff the way you would on any jobsite, and heed the advice.

By "jacks" I meant using jacks to brace the ceiling in the kitchen for support.....not "jacks" as in idiot. I am probably the worst heckler I know on the job and know it is in bad taste but terribly fun. I am heading the aforementioned advice...someone asked what a master carpenter was and I replied with what I knew....it does not matter to me where advice comes from....I have learned from the new kid on day one to the eldest of contractor's. weve each encountered and figured out numerous challenges that are basically the same. Only by checking with a vast amount of tradesman can we find a better suited way.

·
The Duke
14,746 Posts
Let's put it another way. We cannot realistically answer your question without knowing all of the facts.

Not to mention most states require a permit for what you are looking to do and anything related to structural modification requires engineering.

An experienced carpenter would know

A. what to do
B. know their limits
C. that there are better ways than 3 separate headers for one opening
D. not have any children around while working on structural items or near remodeling

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
there is no plumbing but, I have to move electrical either way. Actually, if i go the pillar route I can run a couple of accent eyeball lights just inside between the wall and each pillar in the center of the top of the opening. I would probably want the opening to be fully open but, think I can settle on the pillar. It is load bearing as the second floor is anchored there being a two story living room on the other side.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
framerman,

The kids live in the house...i am very familiar with how the business end and permits go...it is in my own house not anyone else's....i know my limits but am also willing to learn more and tackle more...if it weren't for people trying new things we'd still be building mud huts.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Let's put it another way. We cannot realistically answer your question without knowing all of the facts.

Not to mention most states require a permit for what you are looking to do and anything related to structural modification requires engineering.

An experienced carpenter would know

A. what to do
B. know their limits
C. that there are better ways than 3 separate headers for one opening
D. not have any children around while working on structural items or near remodeling
Framerman,
it says "custom carpentry and design" under your name so design me some custom carpentry so I can open my wall. Thanks.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts