Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm framing a house right now where the plans called for a double 2x10 header over a 6' W double hung window in the basement (gable end). I, admittedly idiotically, assumed this header would be consistent for the rest of the 6' W windows but the two on the eve side of the main level call for double 9 1/2 LVL. I've already framed them with double 2x10 and am probably going to call the inspector in the morning to see if I can leave it or if I'll have to swap them out (wouldn't be that hard right now - pretty early). Any opinions/guesses on what the inspector will say? Thanks!

Andy

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
If the plans spec them, then that's it.

Reactions: CENTERLINE MV

·
Joseph A. Capece
1,811 Posts
Don't even bother calling the inspector, just swap them out. The inspector will not likely bear the burden of responsibility. If anything, he'll have you provide an engineer stamped drawing/statement in approval of the SPF header.

·
Pro
2,138 Posts
Change them out.

For all the reasons stated above.

You know what:

Change them out for the MOST important reason:

- You KNOW they are wrong.

( but you caught it )

If you try and slip this by the inspector, you will have made a moral decision, that you will have to live with, and may influence the rest of your professional decisions.

Don't be that guy.

You already stated you know what was specified.

...and the fork in the road becomes visible now.

·
GC/carpenter
43,931 Posts
What will it entail besides just a new header, some new top cripples?
You may not even have to replace them.

Should be a sinch.

·
diplomat
5,292 Posts
Consider how much stronger LVLs are from an engineering standpoint. In some cases I've had a single LVL replace 3 of the same size dimensional lumber.

·
Framing Contractor
427 Posts
Change them, unless you are on the first floor and the joists above are also 9 1/2", ask for approval to put the LVL in the floor and hanger the joists off it. Leave 2x10 in place.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts