Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Evening all -

haven't done a laminate floor install in awhile and was just looking at an estimate for a friend --- and noticed HD is offering $397 whole house install??

what's the catch? How are we supposed to compete with that?

Looking through my #'s I am usually around the $2/sq ft range including most normal aspects of the job.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i'm trying to see if anyone knows that that includes/doesn't include. prep/leveling? transitions? molding?

no way I can profit from installing laminate on an unlimited floor for $397.

·
Fine Handcrafted Opinions
994 Posts
maxcode said:
Evening all - haven't done a laminate floor install in awhile and was just looking at an estimate for a friend --- and noticed HD is offering $397 whole house install?? what's the catch? How are we supposed to compete with that? Looking through my #'s I am usually around the $2/sq ft range including most normal aspects of the job.
Don't try to compete on price. You can't. Sell your quality and service at your price or move on to better customers.

·
stacker of sticks
8,502 Posts
i'm trying to see if anyone knows that that includes/doesn't include. prep/leveling? transitions? molding?
I doubt it, I was just talking to a woman the other day about hd installing doors. She had them put a door in for $99 or whatever, then they charged her for molding and this and that and ended up costing $550, for a $300 door. Anyways I took the door out because it was 2" out of plumb.

·
994 Posts
maxcode said:
i'm trying to see if anyone knows that that includes/doesn't include. prep/leveling? transitions? molding? no way I can profit from installing laminate on an unlimited floor for $397.
I wouldn't even bother thinking about it. You don't want customers who want a $397 whole house wood floor install.

·
Registered
603 Posts
One time when I was in Home Depot I saw a price sheet laying around in the flooring department. It had prices for all of the "extras". $ for each piece of furniture that they moved, $ for each foot of molding etc. etc.

It was quite a long list.

·
Super Moderator
11,965 Posts
I'll be doing a job for a previous customer Friday who "just had to check".

HD quoted a ridiculously low price to install a new ceiling fan location with a new switch location, assemble it and install it. It was SO low that it scared him back to me. My guess was over twice as much and that was only an estimate on the t&m job.

Sometimes clients are pretty observant.:thumbsup:

I wish they were all like that.

Oh yeah, don't use anything HD puts out as any type of benchmark or let it affect the way you price your work.

·
diplomat
5,292 Posts
I want to try this on a new construction 2000sf job. I'll do all the line items myself.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Don't try to compete on price. You can't.

Bull, effing Shiiit.

Price is all you have to work with. The one thing you guys have to realize is how strong the brand loyalty is with box stores. If you aren't cheaper, you won't get it.

Plus, if they're shopping, they haven't paid yet. HD and Lowes get their money up front. The customer might have an "estimate", but that doesn't necessarily mean that's what they'll be charged. Their card gets charged long before they get an install date, let alone an install.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thanks guys i agree with most of everything was just wondering if anyone had seen the line item extra's from HD so I could educate the consumer. i know with their carpeting they make money on the product as well...

anyway i totally agree that i am not competing on price. referrals are king. i definitely find that most people are happier hiring someone they know well or have a good referral from and are less concerned about price. totally with you that the customer who is just looking for the lowest bottom line isn't the customer i want to work for anyway...

·
Registered
1,789 Posts

Bull, effing Shiiit.

Price is all you have to work with. The one thing you guys have to realize is how strong the brand loyalty is with box stores. If you aren't cheaper, you won't get it.

Plus, if they're shopping, they haven't paid yet. HD and Lowes get their money up front. The customer might have an "estimate", but that doesn't necessarily mean that's what they'll be charged. Their card gets charged long before they get an install date, let alone an install.
Wrong!

Most big box customers fall for that one time. They get educated real quick.

You're pulling from the wrong pool of customers if you think that's all that's out there....

·
994 Posts
ccoffer said:
Don't try to compete on price. You can't. Bull, effing Shiiit. Price is all you have to work with. The one thing you guys have to realize is how strong the brand loyalty is with box stores. If you aren't cheaper, you won't get it. Plus, if they're shopping, they haven't paid yet. HD and Lowes get their money up front. The customer might have an "estimate", but that doesn't necessarily mean that's what they'll be charged. Their card gets charged long before they get an install date, let alone an install.
How are you disagreeing with me? You said if you aren't cheaper, you won't get it. Who wants to be cheaper? That's like competing for the right to lose money.

·
Hair Splitter
18,333 Posts

Bull, effing Shiiit.

If all you have to work with is price, you are too far gone. Price doesn't play into my bids. I charge what I charge for what I do. What I do, I all I have.

·
Flooring Installer
796 Posts
My work is all referalls and I charge more than anyone else in town. Admittedly, I am semi-retired but I still work for old customers.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts