Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to my local HD to day and noticed they are selling flexible gas line.
My plumbing supplier won't sell it unless you are certified to install it.
What's up with that?
Nicko

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
The lowes around here has been selling it for a while.

I'm certified for tracpipe brand, I always joke about it because the guy teaching the class didn't even know what end of a screw driver to use:laughing:

I think the difference is the stuff I get from my supplier seals with a flare, where as the stuff I have seen at lowes seals with a rubber o-ring:eek:

Its like sharkbites for gas:laughing:

Nickko, what part of western pa are you in?

Dave

·
Registered
498 Posts
Do you guys think any HO is stupid enough to try to do their own gas fitting? Like I know there are idiots out there who would attempt it, but depending on what they are trying to do I don't think they will get far because they can't buy certain items like a furnace or a gas fireplace

·
stacker of sticks
8,502 Posts
Do you guys think any HO is stupid enough to try to do their own gas fitting? Like I know there are idiots out there who would attempt it, but depending on what they are trying to do I don't think they will get far because they can't buy certain items like a furnace or a gas fireplace
You can walk into Lowe's and buy a gas fireplace, and I have several local stores to buy a furnace. No ifs ands or buts about it.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts

Ummm What ever you want drop shipped to your house. http://shop.thefurnaceoutlet.com/ Great prices too. I bought this unit last year and installed it outside to free up room in my basement for a new kids bathroom.
Oh did i forget Free shipping on orders over $600.

Attachments

Reactions: Cole82

·
The Grand Wazoo
3,973 Posts
I'm not saying we should kill off all the stupid people, just remove all the warning labels and let nature run it's course.

It's called thinning the herd.

·
Registered
12,964 Posts
I once called the gas company because I had some gas leaks on a commercial building I was working on. The gas guy came, tightened and tested everything. He said he usually doesn't because it isn't their job and I should have just took a wrench to the fittings.

No plumber/pipefitter/gasguy needed for Natural gas, even to run new gas lines, but is needed for propane. Seems crazy to me. They don't want us to replace a toilet, but I can run gas all over a house. :blink:

·
The Ultimate Wire Hider
4,455 Posts
I'm certified for tracpipe brand, I always joke about it because the guy teaching the class didn't even know what end of a screw driver to use:laughing:
That's because this so-called "training" is really a sales presentation. They figure that if they "certify" the technicians, they'll go back to their office and say, "Hey I got a problem in the field that only Tracpipe can solve."

1 - 20 of 36 Posts