Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My mom had HD install carpet and when I went to cut some doors down for her, I leaned on the edge and YOW!! I got stabbed in the hand by what I thought was a staple from the pad or something. It turned out the tack strip nails are all going through the carpet all along the edge. They also used the metal transition between vinyl floor and carpet that has the tack strips for the carpet and the same thing, the points of the tack nails poke through the carpet.
I called HD and they said they will have somebody call me but I am wondering how would this be corrected properly? She didn't buy any super thick plush carpet it is just basic level loop?, not berber or glue down stuff.

Any pro help would be appreciated so HD doesn't try to give me some half-a**ed excuse.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I'm not a pro, but i have used the same carpet installer for years, most recent installation was yesterday. All he does is run a hammer over the tack strip to bend them over, it only takes a couple of extra minutes. I may pay a little more, but i don't have to deal with anything like that.

Tim

·
Knowledge Factory
1,359 Posts
Was the carpet being replaced or was new tackstrip installed, over a wood floor?

I reuse the old tackstrip unless it is damaged.

Her problem is she got level loop, that is really specified as a commercial carpet to be glued down. Over padding it will delaminate in a short period of time, even installed over the densest cushion.

D pin tackstrip is the most common. less pin height like a C or J pin, is usually special order, and most installers don't know it even exists.

Beating the pins down will leave pulls in the face of the carpet, that will look like top tacking. It also bends the pins, and if the carpet has a good stretch on it, some cheap tackstrip the bent pins will rotate, and release the carpet over time and the pulling tension.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.