Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive had this more and more....i show up for a bid with a builder....and he has 1 or 2 more plumbers there....i just find it odd and rude....

i think they do it because they want the low bid and figure it adds competition to see your not the only one bidding.....i never lower my bids and ive never won one of these deals either....because im never the lowest bid

why would a GC do this?

i want a relationship with my builder....he knows how i run things and i know him....we work together.....by switching plumbers on every job how does that develop?....i just dont get it....seems like a bad business plan....these guys arent all low end guys either...some have been middle/high end....low price seems to be the common theme though

when they do this to me they are on my naughty list

·
Registered
Remodel
31,111 Posts
why would a GC do this?
Sounds like fear of commitment:rolleyes:

If you walk all of them through at the same time, they see exactly the same things and have exactly the same answers. That evens it out somewhat. It's also less time for the GC. I've actually done this once, when I needed a plumbing sub in an area I had no contacts. I didn't choose the low bid, and I've used the plumber for a number of projects since then in multiple towns.

Everybody knows what a sub costs you isn't the same thing as their bid.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I have no issue if they let me know. I think it's rude to spring it on us, but no problem if they are honest about it.
Of course, it is a case by case situation if it's a contractor I haven't worked with prior to that.
Fun time happens when it's Justin or Jesse and me. We're all friends, and promptly compare notes to make sure we're estimating the same stuff. Then it's time for a trip to Twin Peaks for a T and B break.

·
Super Moderator
28,871 Posts
You guys never been on a job walk?

Let them all be there.

Now all, whether GC or sub has ALL the same info.
and, you KNOW who the competition is....

So either bid or walk away....

Pretty fvcking simple...it's just business
Done a lot of walk throughs for commercial. Never residential.

Never done it to a sub.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts

Never done it to a sub.
It's normal for a commercial job showing, typically it's not a GC giving you the tour it's a guy that doesn't know the answer to the million questions that everyone is asking. :laughing:

I don't see the problem, quit your whining and send in your bid!

·
Super Moderator
24,787 Posts

Never done it to a sub.
I was involved in some residential production work where I did a job walk with subs. All of them there at one time. One house, mostly framed....shoot the numbers for 25 just like this, better be here when the phone rings....

Other than that it's pretty much a commercial thing....

·
Super Moderator
24,787 Posts
It's normal for a commercial job showing, typically it's not a GC giving you the tour it's a guy that doesn't know the answer to the million questions that everyone is asking. :laughing:

I don't see the problem, quit your whining and send in your bid!
Just finished being the guy in the hot seat on a approx $3m job.

Spent 3 hours answering questions....

Nothing worse than having a dumb azz on a walk.....

The 6 P's come to mind...:thumbup:

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Just finished being the guy in the hot seat on a approx $3m job.

Spent 3 hours answering questions....

Nothing worse than having a dumb azz on a walk.....

The 6 P's come to mind...:thumbup:
I had one on tuesday for a government building in the thick of downtown, the meeting was at 10am, the bid had to be submitted that night by 12pm. The different pages of the plans had about $5k worth of discrepencies and the guy didn't know the answer...but he knew a guy to get in touch with that did. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Commercial walkthroughs are fine; as a very small operator they help me make a judgment about the PM and the other GCs, and decide whether or not to bid.

Every once in a while a residential owner sets up overlapping appointments for GCs for remodels. In that case I just curse myself for not getting that information on the phone, I wish them luck, and I get out of there.

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
commercial yes, residential only once. It was so small in there, I said I didn't have time and walked out.
It does make sense though. Everyone is told the same thing, everyone sees the same thing.
In the right situation I would go with it. If I needed the work, I would go with it.

The residential one I was on was with a newly married young couple. They had spec sheets typed up. They apparently had been watching too many home improvement shows. I politely excused myself and walked out. A couple days later they sent me a Thank you card for showing up.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
The residential one I was on was with a newly married young couple. They had spec sheets typed up. They apparently had been watching too many home improvement shows. I politely excused myself and walked out. A couple days later they sent me a Thank you card for showing up.
What's wrong with getting a spec sheet and a scope of work?

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
commercial yes, residential only once. It was so small in there, I said I didn't have time and walked out.
It does make sense though. Everyone is told the same thing, everyone sees the same thing.
In the right situation I would go with it. If I needed the work, I would go with it.

A spec sheet and a thank you card! I'd be in HEAVEN!

Reactions: EthanB

·
Registered
65 Posts
I do some utility company clean ups. Three of us will ride in the same truck going to locations to bid clean ups. We then meet for lunch or dinner and decide on which ones we want. Works great for the subs, probably not to good for the companys.

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
I didn't see anything wrong with it. I was just telling about the only residential walk through I'd been involved in.
Spec sheet is good because it keeps everyone bidding the same thing. The thank you note was completely unexpected.

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
Just a thought .... start asking if it's a one on one or a group walk through. Pre qaulifying the sales lead. That way you can decide, not waste your time and avoid the emotional grief of having competition present.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts