Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
TEHRAN, Iran (AP) - Iran's supreme leader said Monday he would put on military fatigues and fight to the death if his country were attacked.
In an apparent bid to boost morale in the face of U.S. pressure over the nuclear program, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei mocked Washington in a TV speech, saying its leaders keep to the rear in any confrontation.
``The U.S. leaders - the president, vice president and other key leaders - were hiding up to three days after the Sept. 11 attacks,'' Khamenei said. ``We are not like that. If a bitter experience occurs for this nation, God forbid, or if it is tested, we will wear military uniforms at the front of the nation and prepare for sacrifice.''
His speech was interrupted by crowd chants of ``Death to America!'' and ``Oh, our leader, we are ready for sacrifice!''

Who writes this stuff? Congressional democrats?

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Florcraft said:
Should we call his bluff?
No. We've got our hands full with the whole 'nation building' thing right now (while we steal all the oil :rolleyes: ). Also, that little weasle in N. Korea is just waiting for a chance to invade S. Korea and you can bet the Chi-Comms are looking for a chance to blow the Taiwan situation into a crisis.
I do think however that some sort of limited action needs to be taken, by someone, to substantially delay the progress of Iran's nuke program (provided they do in fact have one).

·
Registered
163 Posts
That looks like number 2 to me. What was his name?

Don

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
Remember the Iraqi press secretary and his hystarical press conferences of denial -

"We are killing the Amercians by the Bushel, right now we are fighting them at the Air port and American infidels are in retreat!"

I was always waiting for the lights to flicker and dust to fall during one of his press conferences as a bomb landed close by or to see the muzzle of a Abrams tank bust through the wall behind him in the middle of one of his press conferences of denial!

·
Registered
318 Posts
"No. We've got our hands full with the whole 'nation building' thing right now "

Nothing against you personally Pipe, but how much a$$ do we have to kick before people will stop doubting the capabilities of the US military to take care of these kinds of threats? It's like handing The Rock a 20 lb. barbell and worrying if he's going to be able to lift it. Russia couldn't take over Afghanistan - our guys did it in a matter of weeks. Iraq had the largest standing army in the middle east. How quickly was that removed and the army forced to go underground?

If they need to initiate some action to take care of a certain contingent in Iran, I'm not terribly worried. Not all the populace is behind the current leader and our guys ovwer there know the terrain and the tacitcs typical to the region. Not to mention we've got a nice close base to launch it from now right next door in Iraq.

Tim

P.S. (while we steal all the oil ). - if we're "stealing" it, why the $#% am I paying $2.50 a gallon for it?

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
TimWieneke said:
Nothing against you personally Pipe, but how much a$$ do we have to kick before people will stop doubting the capabilities of the US military to take care of these kinds of threats? - if we're "stealing" it, why the $#% am I paying $2.50 a gallon for it?
Tim - I'm a cheerleader, not a naysayer. I don't take lightly either our military's capabilities or the sacrifices they make. That being said, no organization can extend itself limitlessly and without regard to exposure to peripheral threats (N. Korea, China, Canada). I think it unlikely that we'd succeed at another broad and extended engagement before such time as we can reduce our force structure in Irag and Afghanistan.
As to the oil - I'm all for going back to the days of the victors salting the fields, takin' the women and looting the spoils (OK, maybe not salting the fields). It was the U.S. that put and end to the practice, I don't see why we shouldn't reinstate it. Especially if it'll get my diesel cost back down to $1.60 :Thumbs:

·
Electrical Contractor
2,411 Posts
Mike Finley said:
My prediction - George Bush will be nominated for Nobel Peace prize within 10 years.
I am waiting for the little sarcasm or "rolleyes" icon........

I truly, TRULY hope that was a joke.

PipeGuy said:
We've got our hands full with the whole 'nation building' thing right now
Don't you mean forced American style Democracy. And no, that isn't necessarily a good thing to do.

I do try to stay out of political threads on this site. I know I am in the slim minority around here. It really is no fun to get beat up by several of your peers just because they disagree with you.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Speedy Petey said:
Don't you mean forced American style Democracy.
First off, America isn't a democracy. It's a Republic. R-E-P-U-B-L-I-C. AMERICA IS A REPUBLIC! A democracy is a 'rule by mob' system of govt. That's not what we have (though it's certainly moving that way).

I'm really in a quandry when it comes to our current military efforts. I'm all for killing animals like Saddam Hussein and eliminating tyrants from positions of power. I see the merit and appropriateness of affording the oppressed an opportunity to experience liberty. My problem is, I don't give a damn about rebuilding what we break up in the process, or helping to establish the rule of law, for a bunch of folks who can barely muster a thank you. I don't like the idea of us being in charge of clean up after we planned and paid for the party in the first place.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I don't know if GW will be a Nobel winner, but I think he'll go down as one of the great ones-- on the level of Reagan. Reagan caught all sorts of grief when he was spending the USSR into oblivion, but had the courage to follow through. GW has the same qualities imo.

One of the scariest thoughts I have is how close we came to facing the last few years with al gore in office. Scary scary stuff..

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
Speedy it might sound crazy to some of us right now, but so would me telling you 18 months ago that within 2 years, Kadafi will reject terrorism in Lybia and the US will open thier arms whole heartedly to them, that Iraq will hold elections on time, that Egypt will consider for the 1st time in 60 years openning up their political system to a dual party instead of - it's time to vote please check next yes to the one candidate, that Afganistan would be holding elections, that Syria would be pulling out of Lebanon,

need I go on?

2 years ago lot's of people were against Bush and one statement heard over and over again is that "they been doing it that way in the middle east for 2000 years, we aren't going to change anything by invading Iraq."

·
Registered
318 Posts
"That being said, no organization can extend itself limitlessly and without regard to exposure to peripheral threats (N. Korea, China, Canada)."

Canada....lol (that was good). Anyway, there's a difference between N. Korea, China and Iran. N. Korea and China are being taken care of diplomatically. The reason for that is they've got something to lose.

"I think it unlikely that we'd succeed at another broad and extended engagement before such time as we can reduce our force structure in Irag and Afghanistan."

Our success in Iraq with the incredibly low casualty count (all things considered) was highly unlikely as well.

Anyway - I don't want to get too deep into this discussion. I'll save it for the political boards. I think we need another pretty blonde to show up and distract us back to the true purpose of this board. :Thumbs:

Tim

1 - 17 of 17 Posts