Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just checking in to see how everyone is doing. It's probably been a year. There's probably lots of new guys. Hope all is going well

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

·
John the Builder
16,993 Posts
Just checking in to see how everyone is doing. It's probably been a year. There's probably lots of new guys. Hope all is going well

maternity leave ?

·
Hack
3,008 Posts
You still driving /shipping?
Got the urge to put the belt back on yet?

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

·
Artist and not a curator
10,103 Posts

Good to see your still kicking man. Coming back down anytime soon?

I too am curious about your driving and if you're still doing it?

Story time!

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good to hear from you!

How's Brutus?
Yeah man, I don't know where he is... he was gone a long time when I stepped out.:laughing:. has Kato ever resurfaced?

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Yeah man, I don't know where he is... he was gone a long time when I stepped out.:laughing:. has Kato ever resurfaced?
Negatory

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Radical Basement Dweller
17,710 Posts
Brutus joined the Canadian Coast Guard.

·
Registered
17,166 Posts
Welcome back,, every time I see a family on holiday and 10 to 12 of them get out of the van I think of you:thumbup: You musta spent a fortune to eat every day:blink:

Reactions: JT Wood

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Good to see your still kicking man. Coming back down anytime soon?

I too am curious about your driving and if you're still doing it?

Story time!
I'm hoping to go down south again this winter, but we'll have to see.

So last year I bought a Kenworth and rented a 53' reefer and was hauling plants and shrubs from a nursery in Kelowna,to Edmonton. About a 1200 mile round trip. I did this 2 or 3 times a week for a few months. After that I drove gravel truck, and did some equipment operating for a friend of mine who owns an excavating company locally for a couple months In the winter time I bought a logging trailer and hauled logs to the mill in Northern Alberta.

Overall it was a good decision, I needed a break from contracting. I was tired of being outside, invoicing, estimating and customers.

I made about the same income as the previous 2 years and I enjoyed my work. The downside Is I was gone from home probably 125 nights.

So this year, I was bumped up in the heirarchy at the nursury, and got in 3 months. Highlight of the season was my trip up to Whitehorse Yukon. Right at the Summer Solstace. It was still not dark at 3 am:blink: It was unusual to be so isolated, I went a full 600 miles without cell service, and probably passed a dozen or so cars in that time. I stopped for the night at a pullout, and I think 1 car drove by all night. I saw wild Buffalo,lots of black bears, A huge Grizzly A bald Eagle several bull Moose and some really interesting scenery. the picture of the parking lot is at between 2-3 am

Currently I am developing My basement. I think I will be Framing a house in about 6 weeks, and I haven't decided if I wanna haul logs after that. How's things with you? Are you an employee still? I seem to remember that didn't take?

Attachments

·
Artist and not a curator
10,103 Posts
I'm hoping to go down south again this winter, but we'll have to see.

So last year I bought a Kenworth and rented a 53' reefer and was hauling plants and shrubs from a nursery in Kelowna,to Edmonton. About a 1200 mile round trip. I did this 2 or 3 times a week for a few months. After that I drove gravel truck, and did some equipment operating for a friend of mine who owns an excavating company locally for a couple months In the winter time I bought a logging trailer and hauled logs to the mill in Northern Alberta.

Overall it was a good decision, I needed a break from contracting. I was tired of being outside, invoicing, estimating and customers.

I made about the same income as the previous 2 years and I enjoyed my work. The downside Is I was gone from home probably 125 nights.

So this year, I was bumped up in the heirarchy at the nursury, and got in 3 months. Highlight of the season was my trip up to Whitehorse Alaska. Right at the Summer Solstace. It was still not dark at 3 am:blink: It was unusual to be so isolated, I went a full 600 miles without cell service, and probably passed a dozen or so cars in that time. I stopped for the night at a pullout, and I think 1 car drove by all night. I saw wild Buffalo,lots of black bears, A huge Grizzly A bald Eagle several bull Moose and some really interesting scenery. the picture of the parking lot is at between 2-3 am

Currently I am developing My basement. I think I will be Framing a house in about 6 weeks, and I haven't decided if I wanna haul logs after that. How's things with you? Are you an employee still? I seem to remember that didn't take?
First off, good looking rig!

That looks like a dream. It'd be really cool if you could have two totally different careers just to break up the monotony of everyday life. Alaska sounds so cool. Parents went there and my Mom fell in love with the whole northern Canada/Alaska area. She said it's where she'd like to go to die. I get that. She said it's just so peaceful. We'll have to wait for the kids to get a bit older but bears, moose, and buffalo are things this Florida family only reads about... Might as well be Bigfoot:laughing:

That whole area of the world is just so foreign and exotic to us. Those pictures probably don't even do it justice but still look majestic. Why are the lakes so emerald green? Soooo pretty. Is it a little like glacier national Park on steroids? So what's it like taking logs in the middle of winter? That's gotta be a little hairy right? Sorry so many questions:laughing:

On the other front

I'm good. Couldn't do the employee thing. Really cool company but sitting on my Duff in an office just didn't work. That and there are politics involved and everyone knows I do really well keeping my mouth shut:whistling. I'm back at the carpentry thing, had a client or two call and it's been steady. Can't complain at all, the employee gig for a year really helped me focus on work time is work time (except lately because I've been in the office).

Give me a ring if you make it back down. We'll find room for you guys if you just wanna hang out for a fire and a BBQ and a couple beers for dads.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have to make a correction, It's Whitehorse Yukon

It's on the Alaska Highway, so I keep messing that up. Still very close though

The Blue dot is where I live. It took about 2 1/2 days each way. I'd love to do the Alaska Highway with My KLR at some point.

I am going to upload some dash cam videos tonight I'll put a link up to my channel Tomorrow Afternoon :thumbsup:

Attachments

·
Registered
187 Posts
Love the Yukon!

I worked a summer of construction up in Cordova AK and hitchhiked back down to my parents house in Washington. It really is frontier country up there, really special.

Those Bison are neat to see in person. I could have reached out and grabbed some fur, but I didn’t dare :)

But then again, I was only there for summer, none of that 60 degrees below 0 business

-Caleb

John 3:16

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Dash Cam following Moose

in this one I was in Northern British Columbia. I came upon a cow moose that was on a bridge. She was scared to jump off, so she ran down the road. I followed at a distance, to help ensure she didn't do something dumb.

You can see toward the end that when a car came from the other side she slipped and fell, and then came back towards the way she came. Unfortunately the video doesn't show it that great, but I was laughing:laughing:

Sorry about the shaky video. a 14L diesel engine shakes the truck when it's accelerating

1 - 20 of 23 Posts