Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I received a call to bid installing furniture in a hotel. This is not something that we normally do or bid. I don't want to turn it down because things have slowed down lately. Has anyone bid this type of thing and are there any suggestions you can give. Essentially it is installing beds, couches, lamps, tables, curtains, tvs, everything that would occupy and empty hotel room. All items will be on site. We will have to move everything to each room and install. I could figure out how long I think it would take and multiply that by the rate I would need to charge. Easy enough. 72 rooms plus the lobby and common areas.

If times were good, I would do just that and if I didn't get the job, I would do something else. It's not a must have but it would really help thing stay afloat right now.
Thanks,
Jeff

·
Workin' Hard & Havin' Fun
1,763 Posts
Never done it, so here's just some quick generic thoughts:

Confirm the location of hte stuff to install- make sure you know what's involved to get it from "there to here".
Who's responsible for the safety & weather protection of said stuff?
What's the payment schedule?
Good people to work with, or PITA charges?
Any way to do 2-4 on a smaller contract to confirm time, and then adjust for the remaining? Could be a solid investment for them, so they know they're not getting screwed...

~Matt

·
JumboJack for president!
747 Posts
seems a little sketchy. From what i know about hotels is that the same person that installs in Ohio is the same that installs in Cali. So it seems that they should all ready have someone that does this. Could be PITA

·
Crash Test Dummy
2,210 Posts
I worked as PM for a company that did this. I don't know their bidding process. Furniture was quick enough. Beds-you have frame assembly.

Lamps and shades-make sure you have a good psychiatrist. Lamps were pack individually in boxes filled with expanding foam. Each and every lampshade was individually wrapped in plastic. Four man crew spent an entire day just removing the :censored::censored::censored::censored: plastic.

Artwork-wasn't just hung on the walls. It had anti-theft anchors.

Televisions-same thing. One job I did was 500 2 br units. 3 teles and one DVD player per unit. They all had to be connected. We had to put batteries in 2000 remote controls. NOT FUN.

You will generate a lot of waste. Most likely, all furniture will be boxed. Probably not crated. Except thgings such as end tables, nightstands...may have just the bottom of the box with crating wood.

We had patio furniture as well. It was covered in plastic and protective tape. I'm talking individual pieces of protective tape on each arm, leg, back...

Then there's the galss-coffee tables, night stands, end tables....all had glass tops. You may or may not have that.

I did the glass myself. I'm freaking fast, and I only managed 40 rooms/day setting those tops.

Some furniture had to be bolted in.

There is a lot of detail work here and time comsuming BS. You want a good and efficient crew.

Punch list day was the best. You never know what a pain in the ass self closing doors are until you have to open and close 1500 in one day.

Fire away with any questions. You may trigger more traum...er, uh memories of something I may have over looked.

·
Crash Test Dummy
2,210 Posts
Any way to do 2-4 on a smaller contract to confirm time, and then adjust for the remaining? Could be a solid investment for them, so they know they're not getting screwed...

~Matt

That's probably not feasible. We had over 200 containers on one job, would only get a few a day. One container would be all sofas, one would be end tables and misc. stuff. One might be all beds....Chances are, all that furniture will still be in Hong Kong when bids have to be submitted.

·
General Contractor
3,444 Posts
I worked as PM for a company that did this. I don't know their bidding process. Furniture was quick enough. Beds-you have frame assembly..... < SNIPPED TO PRESERVE SPACE > ......Fire away with any questions. You may trigger more traum...er, uh memories of something I may have over looked.
An excellent post!

Reactions: ChainsawCharlie

·
Crash Test Dummy
2,210 Posts
I worked on the flipside too-removal. A lot easier, and a lot less headaches.

One funny story from a removal-all we had was furniture and fixtures (carpet, drapes, lamps)...another company got all the electronics, common areas, utility rooms.

They were out before us, and our punchlist came after. The other company missed one room. A store room. It was loaded to the gills with little hotel soaps, shampoos, etc...I told them I'd do that room as freebie.... I didn't have to buy toiletries for three years!!:thumbup: Had it all...toothpaste, disposable raisers, shampoo conditioner, lotions, kleenex...I think we had two box trucks full of schwag. And it only took a couple hours.

·
Registered
234 Posts
A motel/hotel investment group contacted me about doing the buildins of the furnishings at a hotel. I was supposed to put in mirrors and shower doors along with all the lamps, tables, bed, dressers, desks, microwaves, coffeemakers etc.
The more I discussed it with them the less I was interested in the job so I passed on it.
Found out they had a company that normally did this for them but apparently they owned them for several hotels and they cut the investors off.
So, my point is to be careful and remember who you are dealing with.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I appreciate the time you took to respond. That is the information I was looking for. I had not considered anti theft anchors and all of the packing materials. That really helps in creating my estimate.
Jeff

·
Registered
132 Posts
Hi I remodeled 32 rooms at a motel once. General repairs, removal and movement of some fixtures. painting....... ne ways we found that moving furniture back into the room. installing the headboards pictures (concrete walls) and allthe other stuff two people could get about 3 done a day this was installing cover plates to drapes and all that. But had to walk a lot to 6 different storage rooms they had throughout the buildings for the beds and chairs and stuff.

We brought all our tools home at the end of the day. and they had security cameras and it was in a decent part of town.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts