Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sitting here in hotel watching bob vila's show. He showing this new roof underlayment product. Just thought I would throw it out there for you guys. Here is the website.www.interwrap.com/roofingproducts.html. I also found it interesting that on the new house he is going with simonton new contruction windows.

·
Banned
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
NO but i bet its not as cheap as felt paper :cheesygri
Update

Here is what manuf. rep said. Unlike felt paper you can leave this exposed to the elements. Meaning Lay down one day come back a week later and roof. He also said Roofers like it because its not slick to walk on. He also said its durable meaning not easy at all to tear. When Bob got down talking to that rep. he went to the Roofing shingle Rep. That rep was from a company called IKO. I have never heard you guys ever say anything about IKO roofing shingles.

I will keep you guys updated on any new cool products i see on home improvement TV. I'm the king of Home improvement tv when laid up in a hotel. :Thumbs: :Thumbs: :Thumbs:

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
I've heard of it but never used it. Quite a few roofers I know swear by it and don't install anything else. They say it speeds up production because of the size of the roll so you break even on the added material costs, because yes it does cost mroe than organic felt.

It used to be slick to walk on, the traction is a recent update from what I am told. The slipperyness used to be the biggest complaint of roofers.

IKO has a factory in Chicago Heights. They make a medium to low grade product IMO.

·
Golden Hammer, Inc.
9 Posts
I have a customers roof we are doing in that material. The stuff is really pretty amazing. You is extremely tough and you cannot tear it. We will likely be doing th roof in the next two weeks. I will let everyone know how it works.

·
Banned
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh i forgot to tell you guys. The people installing it had a special nail gun to hold it down. It was a nail gun that shot nails with buttons on them. I think that what those nails are called. Nails with round like plastic button on them. I never seen nail gun like that.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
747, the nails are called GripCaps. Commonplace now.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Have you ever tried a button-cap nail gun?

Anybody have any luck with a button-cap nailer...my experience is that they don't have the technology down yet?.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Hitachi makes a cap nailer...Crossfire makes a cap stapler. Have used both. Love the Crossfire...light, uses very little air. I think the synthetic underlayments are a great thing. There are 4-5 mfrs besides Titanium...Grace TriFlex 30, RoofTop Guard, Sharkskin, etc. Some of the roll sizes are too wide to go fast. 10 sq. rolls only weight about 35 lbs! Cost is about $120/10 sq roll.
Jim

·
Commercial Roofing
1,220 Posts
What use would a platsi cap nailer be on large commercial flat work?

·
Commercial Roofing
1,220 Posts
Cold applied for commercial? I would think that for special circumstances. I do not trust non-hot bonded bitumen sheet.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Titanium Roof Underlayment "invinsible"

I have experience with the use of this product and the experiences were not what one might call good. The nailed down system of the UDL is not all that it is marketed as. It sounds good and functions horribly. The UDL is relatively weak and therefore leads to leaks. All peal and stick underlayments or wind and weather shields are the best bet on any roofing project...if you use this company I highly advise the peal and stik PSU product as opposed to the nail down system...The company will not back you when the UDL nail down fails...and it will. Synthetics in general have not been tested and researched enough to work properly.

·
Registered
174 Posts
The Titanium material is plastic with "threads" woven throught it. The material shrinks in the hot sun. Must be installed loosely to avoid leaks when it shrinks. This shrinkage pulls small tears into the material at the nails. Try one of the spun-bound sheets like Sharkskin or Grace TriFlex 30....no shrinkage.
Jim

1 - 16 of 16 Posts