Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a phone call this morning from a guy (builder/remodeler/flipper) that's been calling me for the past two years. He always wants a price on this or that or the other thing, but has never hired me. Ever.

He calls today and wants me to stop by and look at a job. I laid it out to him in no uncertain terms. I told him, "I don't mind, but if you're never going to hire me, why should I bother? Please, unless you're serious about wanting me to do the work, don't call me again."

Reactions: NormW and nEighter

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
50,761 Posts
I didn't actually tell the guy to stop calling, I have caller ID and when his number showed up I refused to answer. After about a year [:w00t:] he finally stopped calling.

·
Super Moderator
11,936 Posts
Got that call a couple weeks ago.
Having some fun with him now by not returning his pricing requests.
Let him sit and wonder why!
Let him waste his time and energy for a change!
Love it!:laughing:

480, obviously he respects your company and it's abilities, and I am smelling a guy who was using your previously quoted bids as a benchmark.

I get those too, but never from the same "contractor" consistently.

I think you may have shut him down properly now.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I've told a couple not to call me. Now I assign their caller ID to the "silent ringtone" on my iPhone, that puts them on the ignore list.

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I didn't actually tell the guy to stop calling, I have caller ID and when his number showed up I refused to answer. After about a year [:w00t:] he finally stopped calling.
I just counted them up...... 47 entries in my cell phone saved as "DNA" for Do Not Answer.

Reactions: nEighter

·
Nest Home Improvement
890 Posts
I almost told a person to stop calling me and am glad I didn't.

A homeowner contacted me originally in Sept. 2008. Numerous emails and telephone conversations go back and forth for a few months but no work.

Fast forward to August 2009, finally meet in person and provide a written estimate. Three months of more phone calls and emails going back and forth. He was a nice guy and had some great questions. Finally, next week we start on $4k project for him.

I am glad I kept the conversation going!

·
Registered
190 Posts
Did you ever follow threw and ask why you were not used for any of the previous bids?

The least he could have done is provide you with a valid reason, or maybe not... just curious to why someone would want to spend the time to call you, not to use you...

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Did you ever follow threw and ask why you were not used for any of the previous bids?

The least he could have done is provide you with a valid reason, or maybe not... just curious to why someone would want to spend the time to call you, not to use you...

Absolutely.

The last job I bid at $6800. He said the next highest bid was $3750, and the low bid was $2300.

I tell him I know he won't have any problems with my work, I produce on time and don't low-ball to get the job then add extras later, etc. etc.

I think he calls me so he can see if his current subs are in line on their prices. I'm sure he does this for all the trades. I'm also sure he has a constant turn-over with his subs as well. Me, I'm in it for the long haul.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
Real estate sales people are often looking for a bid in order to use your figure as a negotiating chip.

I seldom look at a property for a real estate person --Just tell them," time and materials-When should I start?" That stops those calls.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Yes, but I blow people off in a very nice yet harsh manner....email is my style.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts

Some just like to comparison shop,and always go for the lowest bid,no matter what they end up with.
After three or four tries,the client knows he can count on you for a quote to work off.
They usually show their hand as you deal with them,as they brag about all the great deals they got.

·
13 Licenses & Counting
197 Posts
I've found that having a bidding fee cures most of those issues. For elective water system work - pump maintenance, water conditioning systems, treatment, filters, constant pressure systems - we get quite a few tire kickers. So, we ask for anywhere from $85 to $150 to survey the site & provide design services, then we get 50% upfront on contract signing. Typically, we credit the $85 to $150 to the final invoice.

·
Registered
190 Posts
That sux... half your cost???? There are some real scumbags out there... Either your really high (which I don't believe) or there trying to buy the work...

·
Super Moderator
11,936 Posts
Absolutely.

The last job I bid at $6800. He said the next highest bid was $3750, and the low bid was $2300.

I tell him I know he won't have any problems with my work, I produce on time and don't low-ball to get the job then add extras later, etc. etc.

I think he calls me so he can see if his current subs are in line on their prices. I'm sure he does this for all the trades. I'm also sure he has a constant turn-over with his subs as well. Me, I'm in it for the long haul.
These people always end up getting screwed. ALWAYS.

Only once did I have a HO call me up and say that by the time the "extras that the lower bid didn't foresee" were all added I was indeed less expensive.

But it happens all the time. :censored:

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
These people always end up getting screwed. ALWAYS.

Only once did I have a HO call me up and say that by the time the "extras that the lower bid didn't foresee" were all added I was indeed less expensive.

But it happens all the time. :censored:
That's what I told him about this last bid. The bid he gave me from someone else, I didn't see any temp. power, smokes, TV or cable jacks, and only 2 AFCI circuits (meaning the bid was based on the 2005 NEC, not the 2008 as is currently required). This also meant there were no combo smokes (required in Iowa now), no tamper-resistant receps.....

Oh well, he can keep hiring One-Shot Wonders if that's what he want to do.

·
Los Angeles Remodeler
84 Posts
Got a phone call this morning from a guy (builder/remodeler/flipper) that's been calling me for the past two years. He always wants a price on this or that or the other thing, but has never hired me. Ever.

He calls today and wants me to stop by and look at a job. I laid it out to him in no uncertain terms. I told him, "I don't mind, but if you're never going to hire me, why should I bother? Please, unless you're serious about wanting me to do the work, don't call me again."
Unfortunately there are multiple reasons general contractors do this:

1) The owner/client requires multiple prices
2) Your price may be above his range
3) They may know your price is usually higher so they use you to get their buddy hired
4) Another subcontractor may have inside information and continuously low bid you

·
EVIL GENIUS
2,546 Posts
I usually act like Im busy and when they ask me to look at something and I never get around to it they usually forget about it or figure out I dont want to do it.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts