Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are trying to organize a fundraiser for a disabled client of ours. The funds raised are earmarked to make ADA compliant improvements to this individuals home. Our company is donating the labor and funds raised would go towards materials. Have already approached some suppliers to donate materials.

Our plan is to have a family-style event on the weekend at a park with food and music.

Anyone ever do this before? Suggestions?

·
Repair/Remodeling Tech.
1,645 Posts
A lot of times you can get the food donated by a locally owned grocery store and local bands might come out for free or a deep discount.

Sometimes people have materials leftover from a project and they don't know what to do with them. Take a trailer and park it at the event.

Some people may not be able to give money but may be able to help with the labor. Even if unskilled, everyone can do something to help out.

Advertise, advertise, advertise...I know every time there's any kind of fundraiser around here, we get a list together at work for plate lunch orders. They will usually deliver, but if they don't it's not a problem for someone to pick them up. We usually take 60-80 plates I think. Very often the food is a hotdog or 2 and some baked beans and cole slaw....VERY cheap to make...not worth half what we pay for it, but it's a fundraiser, so........

Silent auctions raise money, but of course you have to find people to donate things to auction off.

Those are the kinds of things that happen around here...just some ideas.

·
K&B Plus...
242 Posts
I've been very involved with 503c corporations and fundraising. Food is always a popular draw, together with bouncy houses for the kids, music, etc. Down here, we do bar-b-q with the pork butts, which is a cheap cut of meat. Smoke it for 30 hours or so, and pull it apart and pile it on a sandwich bun. We've gotten local groceries to donate the meat, and local bar-b-q champions to donate the cooking. Or a gumbo pot can also be a big meal that's not too expensive to prepare. Your local softdrink distributor will usually donate a couple of cases of drinks, etc.

The big part that really needs organizing is the phone calling. You need volunteers to call local businesses for donations, and to follow up with a visit in person. Same with the donations of the plates, glassware, and other extraneous needs that you will need to have on hand for the event. Once you've got most of the donations for product lined up, then it's the phone calls to local radio stations, TV station, and any other local media to let them know the event who, when, where. Call other local non profits that might be interested in making it a "fair" type event, with maybe the Red Cross taking blood donations, and the animal shelter offering adoptions, and the local high school doing a glee club singoff or whatever. Having the Boy Scouts or local military do a flag raising ceremony at the beginning to kick it off is a really nice touch. And it opens the wallets of donors. The more emotional tugs that you can bring to the event, the better. The more things you can network together to make it an "event", the more attendance that you will have, and the more appeal across boundaries that the event will have.

For the property owner who will host the event, be sure to contact the insurance company to notify them. You may need a specialty rider. If the municipality has any regs on public gatherings, a permit may need to be pulled, and the local police may need to be notified for traffic control, etc.

·
Repair/Remodeling Tech.
1,645 Posts
:clap:

Way beyond what I had in mind, but all great ideas, LiveOak.

I like the idea of bringing in other organizations to "do their thing". I assume that would be kind of carnival 'booth' style? "They have animals to adopt next door and a blood drive 3 tents down"

There's no reason to stop at helping one person. If you can get enough labor/material/money donations, people will reach out to you for help if they need it.

·
Kowboy
2,278 Posts
I just went to a fundraising concert. The tables right in front of the stage were sold for $500.00 or so. These raised more money than all the other admission put together. They had a 50/50 raffle and the winner gave back the money.

Don't beg for money. Start sellin' tables at a concert.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts