Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

Have You Been Hiring More Women?

27K views 192 replies 38 participants last post by  Jaws 
#1 ·
Construction worker Blue-collar worker Hard hat Personal protective equipment Engineer

Well, as it turns out, 97 percent of the field is male. That’s right, only three percent of the workforce is female. This isn’t for a lack of women interested in the trades — in fact, they would love the increased income and opportunities to gain specialized skills. Labor Shortages and Ladies in the (Construction) Zone
Have you been hiring more women?

Why? Why not?

Could it be a solution to labor shortages?

See less See more
#3 ·
Not so much hiring, but I've been seeing more women in the trades over the last couple of years.

Today, I was in a local big box and saw probably ly as many women as men dressed like me. Grubby, but happy. I assume they were contractors or similar.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

#4 ·
The article kinda makes it sound like women are treated like dirt in construction and are subject to discrimination. What it doesn't outline is that's how construction is for everyone. It's not for those who can't handle a bit of hazing and joking around.

I've employed/subcontracted work to three women in the past and didn't experience the problem outlined in the article. One would attract some unwanted attention from other male workers on site who jumped at the opportunity to help her :laughing:

#6 ·
3 full time work for us, one seasonal. 2 office/admin and two painter/paint prep.

I'm sexist... I don't let the older lady climb tall ladders and none of let either one carry anythinf real heavy. They seem cool with it lol

Reactions: Admin
#9 ·
Aside from my mom who is our book keeper and my sister who does a few odd things here and there for us, we hired our first woman early last year.

She helped me carry a 72" vanity with a marble top attached to it up a set of stairs so I think she'll do ok.

She usually works with me and we do primarily cabinet and trim work in this season of the business.

#10 ·
In my business the answer is NO. No applicants, no interest, not even a mild interest in learning and doing what we do.

8 years ago, had a women, who was the partner of a firm we had a working relationship with, really really wanted to come on board and learn what we do and do it.

I set up a organized training program, bought clothing in her size. Get everything ready to go.

Set up our first job.....she calls in sick the night before. Ok, that can happen. Two weeks later.....another "not feeling too good" excuse. Then she had to go somewhere outside the country, then it was something else.

After a month of excuses, I dropped it. I saw her for years after this, she never brought it up, nor did she offer any apology or just a simple: "I lost interest".

#12 ·
Our main painting subcontractor is a woman and there have been a couple from misc other subs. Most of the office staff at local companies are female. I have not hired any for our company nor have any ever called or applied when we had postings. At a previous company the bosses sister worked for a bit one summer and that was not a good fit. Not because she was a woman but because she didn't like manual labor...[emoji23]

#14 ·
Some of my best subs are women-owned: plastering, painting, hardwood floors, glass contractor.

One of my project managers is a woman, and she is excellent! On the job at 6:45am, hard-working, smart, thorough. One of my best hires in many years. Currently overseeing construction of a 4.5 million$ home. She needs my help on a few things but all-in-all does a very good job.

#30 ·
Well Rob, I've been in construction full time 18 years - never worked beside a woman until I hired one.

It's rare. Although more prevalent I'm sure

So a legit question

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Reactions: MarkJames
#42 ·
I hire whoever can do the job and can show up.

Sometimes that's a man, sometimes a woman.

My gf was a heck of a heavy equipment operator way back when. If someone messed up a grade, she'd be the one sent to straighten it out, and she did most of the tricky finish grading.

Guys back then would get really pissed that the best hired operator was a woman. It wasn't her fault they were sucky.

#45 ·
Been here 19 years. Had 1 female apply for a construction position.

She didn't have any experience in our industry. She didn't get hired.

My main question was, what do you do when the crew goes out of town? I typically have crews of 4. I setup 2 hotel rooms. 2 men in each room.

If I hire a female, does that mean I need to get a separate hotel room or would that be considered special treatment? Should she bunk with a man? I don't know the right answer there. I haven't had to figure it out yet.

#46 ·
Been here 19 years. Had 1 female apply for a construction position.

She didn't have any experience in our industry. She didn't get hired.

My main question was, what do you do when the crew goes out of town? I typically have crews of 4. I setup 2 hotel rooms. 2 men in each room.

If I hire a female, does that mean I need to get a separate hotel room or would that be considered special treatment? Should she bunk with a man? I don't know the right answer there. I haven't had to figure it out yet.
Well the guy who draws the long straw....

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

#49 ·
When I worked building a prison in (I wanna say 1987?) Our company had to hire a percentage of minorities. We hired women. They were considered minorities in the construction trade. They drove Bobcats and watered sand all day before a pour. Made prevailing wages.

Mike.

#130 ·
I agree, the women do have duties that are different than the heavy stuff men do. I have worked with a lot of women and I do my best to accommodate them.

I've got a sister who used to work in the trades with us when we were younger... not much she couldn't do... But then again, long term, she didn't stay in the trades...

Your point is valid, but there are also ways to work smarter... lifts, etc.

Came across this when looking for a lift video and thought it was timely so decided to post it since it was a female using an idea... :laughing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6erroPIjmrM
Man that dry plywood looks nice to work with:thumbsup: Like I said all our stuff come through Honolulu wood treating and is very wet from the big vats they were soaked in.

#56 ·
I apologize for my poorly worded question. My purpose was exploring if hiring more women would help with the labor shortage issue. What I am hearing from y'all though, is for the most part women aren't applying for work. Of course, that makes me wonder why...

#58 ·
Well that is the gist of it. How many contractors have women applying for jobs that are also being applied to by men.....with all things being equal: age, experience, knowledge, etc.

The same is true with minorities: how many blacks, Hispanics, Asians, and others are being hired vs white males.....again with all things being equal.

The same is true for my company: how many women have applied: the answer is 0. How many minorities other than hispanics: 0. How many white males: 0.

Going to the the revised question: would hiring more women help with the labor shortage?

The question is still too open ended with no guidelines. If the question is : would hiring more women with desired skills and knowledge help? Well then the answer (at least on my part) would be yes. Would hiring more of anybody with skills and knowledge help? Again, the answer is yes.

But you have to put qualifiers into the question to make it more meaningful and applicable.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.