Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

141 - 160 of 193 Posts

·
Hair Splitter
18,322 Posts
Really:blink: Yesterday we carried 45 sheets of very wet 5/8ths PT plywood to the back yard and set them on saw horses to be pulled up to the roof. The 2 men with me could barley do it. There is no way a woman could do it. I was the only one there that could pull them onto the roof alone. There is a reason construction is a male dominated trade :thumbsup:
Um, you missed my point big guy. My point was if they can do the work they get the job, I don't go out and seek women because they are a woman.

I completely agree that there are difference in the two genders in their physical makeup. Yes, it is a male dominated trade, but not male monopolized trade because there are some women that can do the same physical tasks as most men. But to say "no woman could do it", is just plain ignorant. I would agree with "most women couldn't do it", but not no women.

·
Premium Member
Honolulu, Hawaii
17,459 Posts
But to say "no woman could do it", is just plain ignorant.
Well big guy I never said that,, I live in a land of very big women. Funny thing is most of them choose not to do it.

Reactions: hdavis

·
Hair Splitter
18,322 Posts
The 2 men with me could barley do it. There is no way a woman could do it.
Well big guy I never said that,, I live in a land of very big women. Funny thing is most of them choose not to do it.
Uh big guy, that's exactly what you said..."There is NO WAY A WOMAN COULD DO IT."

How do you deny that?

·
John the Builder
16,993 Posts
Face it, farm and ranch kids and high school athletes know about hard work. They're a natural fit if they have an interest.
What a load of horse sh!t. Most of the guys/gals I see here "in the trades" are from 3rd world countries, smaller than average, and do just fine.

·
Super Moderator
23,785 Posts
Face it, farm and ranch kids and high school athletes know about hard work. They're a natural fit if they have an interest.
What a load of horse sh!t. Most of the guys/gals I see here "in the trades" are from 3rd world countries, smaller than average, and do just fine.
i took the reference to farm/ranch kids & HS athletes to mean they likely have a better sense of a work ethic than those individuals from different backgrounds.

see no reference as to their size or physical attributes.

just my 2 cents....

·
John the Builder
16,993 Posts
i took the reference to farm/ranch kids & HS athletes to mean they likely have a better sense of a work ethic than those individuals from different backgrounds.

see no reference as to their size or physical attributes.

just my 2 cents....
Then I double down on my statement.

·
Registered
Remodel
26,635 Posts
There are close to 0 third world workers in the trades up here, but there are people who are used to hard work.

There is still one HS program for carpentry fairly close, and some of those guys are motivated and go into the trades.

Then there are the drunks that are used for painting crews and felons for whatever their skills are.

The Hispanic crews that show up up here are with out of state commercial contractors.

Maybe the farm kids and athletes out there aren't interested in the trades. I'll be picking one up this week as a helper, so it works for me.

·
Premium Member
Honolulu, Hawaii
17,459 Posts
But to say "no woman could do it", is just plain ignorant.
Uh big guy, that's exactly what you said..."There is NO WAY A WOMAN COULD DO IT."

How do you deny that?
You see your quote,, and you see my quote,, not the same. You're the one that likes to pick apart words..
So that is not exactly what I said:laughing:

Look this is stupid,, I work on some big jobs,, some with up to 500 men on them and I see how many women are in the trades. I'm good carry on:thumbsup:

·
John the Builder
16,993 Posts
There are close to 0 third world workers in the trades up here, but there are people who are used to hard work.

There is still one HS program for carpentry fairly close, and some of those guys are motivated and go into the trades.

Then there are the drunks that are used for painting crews and felons for whatever their skills are.

The Hispanic crews that show up up here are with out of state commercial contractors.

Maybe the farm kids and athletes out there aren't interested in the trades. I'll be picking one up this week as a helper, so it works for me.
More horse sh!t.

Firstly, my comment had no reference to "illegals".

2nd, 3rd world has no geographic/ethnic center.

3rd, Maine residents perceive "illegals" and those "others" - meaning visually different - as a problem , same as in every other region of the USA.

Once again, sounds like you have no actual experience in the construction industry.

https://www.pressherald.com/2019/06...al-immigrants-giving-animals-legal-advocates/

https://www.wsj.com/articles/maines-largest-city-strains-under-asylum-seeker-influx-11548601200

https://www.bostonglobe.com/busines...xploitation/WmlvDkLB4bRE9jp71wca2M/story.html

https://www.ellsworthamerican.com/opinions/commentary/progressives-denial-illegal-immigration/

=====================

https://bangordailynews.com/2019/03...rustrated-by-racist-responses-to-his-workers/

https://agcmaine.org/2019/03/propos...s-will-boost-economy-cut-illegal-immigration/

http://mainebeacon.com/maines-trade...y-for-women-and-immigrants-into-quality-jobs/

Reactions: BlueRidgeGreen

·
Registered
Remodel
26,635 Posts
BTW, we've had programs to train women for the trades for more than a decade. I've never met a graduate of those programs in the trades. Most women in the trades I've met were in the family business.

·
Hair Splitter
18,322 Posts
You see your quote,, and you see my quote,, not the same. You're the one that likes to pick apart words..

Look this is stupid,, I work on some big jobs,, some with up to 500 men on them and I see how many women are in the trades. I'm good carry on:thumbsup:
Good thing I didn't say that's "exactly" what you said and just rephrased what you said where no meaning was lost. Fact is you stated there was no woman that could do it. That is ignorant.

And how is my statement different in meaning? If there is no woman that could do that, then there is no way a woman could do that, since there is no woman that could do that. No woman is all encompassing.

And I agree this is stupid, but not because I rephrased what you said where no meaning was lost but because you want to argue about that and are now trying to save face. I have no issue calling your stupid chit out.

·
John the Builder
16,993 Posts
Neither did mine.

Some time you'll have to show me those 3rd world construction workers that are common up here.:rolleyes:
That's why there's over 1/2 dozen links in my last post. Because your fellow residents say so.

There's not one thing unique in Maine's socio-economic makeup to suggest the numbers in construction would vary by any large degree from any other northern locale.

Reactions: BlueRidgeGreen

·
Premium Member
Honolulu, Hawaii
17,459 Posts
Good thing I didn't say that's "exactly" what you said and just rephrased what you said where no meaning was lost. Fact is you stated there was no woman that could do it. That is ignorant.

And how is my statement different in meaning? If there is no woman that could do that, then there is no way a woman could do that, since there is no woman that could do that. No woman is all encompassing.
No,, I was speaking in general.
Look it's like saying if I had 3 hands and arms I could carry them easier but men only have 2 arms. Now some nitwit come along and digs up a chart showing how many people are born with more than 2 arms :thumbup: I just finished a job that had only about 50 guys on the crew.. not one woman. How about the big crews you've been on. Then what were the women doing.. flagging the road???

·
Registered
Remodel
26,635 Posts
That's why there's over 1/2 dozen links in my last post. Because your fellow residents say so.

There's not one thing unique in Maine's socio-economic makeup to suggest the numbers in construction would vary by any large degree from any other northern locale.
You didn't even understand your own links. Just more Google blather.

Ask the guys in Massachusetts who have some exposure to the trades up here if there is a huge difference between MA and ME. There absolutely is.

·
test
3,322 Posts

Look this is stupid,, I work on some big jobs,, some with up to 500 men on them and I see how many women are in the trades. I'm good carry on
he cut out NOTHING important. just you talking about how strong you are lol.
unreal..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

·
John the Builder
16,993 Posts
You didn't even understand your own links. Just more Google blather.

Ask the guys in Massachusetts who have some exposure to the trades up here if there is a huge difference between MA and ME. There absolutely is.
Or Rhode Island, or....hell.....you'll just continue to try to deflect.

Those are articles written about what goes on in your state - that you say does not go on.

In other words, your neighbors are fact checking you.

Reactions: TNTRenovate

·
Hair Splitter
18,322 Posts
No,, I was speaking in general.
Look it's like saying if I had 3 hands and arms I could carry them easier but men only have 2 arms. Now some nitwit come along and digs up a chart showing how many people are born with more than 2 arms :thumbup: I just finished a job that had only about 50 guys on the crew.. not one woman. How about the big crews you've been on. Then what were the women doing.. flagging the road???
You really are this ignorant. No, you said what you meant, that no woman could do that. It's a pretty clear statement with no room to wiggle. It's nothing like your example. It's simple. You had two guys who could barely do it and you stated that no woman could do that. You weren't calling out an abnormality, but a specific. But the back peddling and ass covering is cute. Don't be a puss, own your statement.

BTW, anecdotal evidence is just that, it isn't definitive and a poor argument. What you have seen or where I have worked is moot. There are plenty of women who do it everyday. Here's an example, I have never been to Hawaii, I guess it doesn't exist because I haven't seen it.

141 - 160 of 193 Posts