Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

181 - 193 of 193 Posts

·
GC/carpenter
40,981 Posts
It happens when someone will not own up to what they said... It is funny watching him squirm tho.

I think it was figuratively ( metaphorically) speaking. I didn't take him literally. Probably because I know DWB and how he posts. But hey that's just me.

Mike.

·
Registered
10,825 Posts
I just made an error in judgment by reading the last three pages right after lunch. I wonder how the Facebook groups can be all that different.

·
Super Moderator
25,945 Posts
Still have the two women painters, and my roofer quit roofing and his sister bought him out. She's awesome, very organized.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Just came across this thread. I would hire a woman. No body else wants to work. It will be lil difficult on heavy stuff but we'll figure it out.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11,374 Posts
See, this is why hiring women is so difficult, or snowflakes.

You saying carrying heavy stuff would be an issue, will get you sued. You can't say that to the wrong person. Man or woman.

It isn't the big rude or sexual sexist stuff that gets you. It's the small day to day innocent conversations that get you in trouble. And usually long after you even remember making the comment, as it was just chit chat.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
Honolulu, Hawaii
17,450 Posts

You saying carrying heavy stuff would be an issue, will get you sued. You can't say that to the wrong person. Man or woman.

It isn't the big rude or sexual sexist stuff that gets you. It's the small day to day innocent conversations that get you in trouble. And usually long after you even remember making the comment, as it was just chit chat.

Big companies that hire send the applicants they hire to a 3 rd party physical check up place where they are tested to see if they meet your requirements. At one job I was required to carry 200 lbs. before I could work on a military job. This keeps the employer safe by knowing he isn't hiring a maypop.

·
Registered
Custom
12,596 Posts
Big companies that hire send the applicants they hire to a 3 rd party physical check up place where they are tested to see if they meet your requirements. At one job I was required to carry 200 lbs. before I could work on a military job. This keeps the employer safe by knowing he isn't hiring a maypop.
There's a lawyer to poke a hole in all that... :mad:

·
Problem Solver
43 Posts
OK, I'll play.
I had no problem hiring a woman. Biggest concern that came up was that she could not stand a 28' extension ladder by herself. Both strength and vertically challenged.
Came with great references. Calfrutopia union trained. That lasted a month.
That's how long it took for her to file a workman's comp claim for carpal tunnel. A f#^%$ month!
During the process an insurance investigator told me off the record that doing it like this was part of the cali union training. Yeah, off the record. Cheaper for them to pay it than fight it.
Fool me once...:censored:
I'm really glad I don't have employees anymore.

·
Super Moderator
25,945 Posts
Like any other employee I hire for what they can do. I dont expect a 65 year old site super to frame a wall or pack material, I dont expect a new hire to be able to do chit except dig holes and pack lumber, get lunch and sweep up, roll up, roll out. Etc...

The two women who worked for me in the field I made clear I didn't want them on tall ladders or to pack 5 gallons of paint etc. Told all the men that. Told them that. Plenty of other chit they were good at I needed. That will vary site to site

Never a problem. If they hand t moved they'd still be on payroll

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
25,945 Posts

Clear direction from a HMFIC who has respect amongst their crews ends that. 3 year, never an issue. Not one.

More importantly, if there was one, it was internalized and was never my problem.

·
Registered
11,374 Posts
Just telling them not to get on tall ladders or carry 5 gallons of paint can get you in trouble these days.

Maybe not in Texas, but in the blue states it can. Folks are looking for things to sue for.

Reactions: Jaws

·
Super Moderator
25,945 Posts
Just telling them not to get on tall ladders or carry 5 gallons of paint can get you in trouble these days.

Maybe not in Texas, but in the blue states it can. Folks are looking for things to sue for.

I'm sure here too, but its harder than you think. Most lawyers arent going to take that case on commission, and I can certainly afford a better lawyer on the off chance they do. I won't have to pay chit

Being a good person and logical can cause issues, but generally not if you take care of people. Ive never even had an unemployment claim in almost 13 years and I've had dozens of hands

Reactions: VinylHanger
181 - 193 of 193 Posts