Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 193 Posts

·
Administrator
Community Manager
5,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ladiesconstructionzone-lge.jpg

Well, as it turns out, 97 percent of the field is male. That’s right, only three percent of the workforce is female. This isn’t for a lack of women interested in the trades — in fact, they would love the increased income and opportunities to gain specialized skills. Labor Shortages and Ladies in the (Construction) Zone
Have you been hiring more women?

Why? Why not?

Could it be a solution to labor shortages?

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
It's a supply driven issue not demand driven...or does the entire female population want to work in construction?

·
Registered
11,374 Posts
Not so much hiring, but I've been seeing more women in the trades over the last couple of years.

Today, I was in a local big box and saw probably ly as many women as men dressed like me. Grubby, but happy. I assume they were contractors or similar.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
The article kinda makes it sound like women are treated like dirt in construction and are subject to discrimination. What it doesn't outline is that's how construction is for everyone. It's not for those who can't handle a bit of hazing and joking around.

I've employed/subcontracted work to three women in the past and didn't experience the problem outlined in the article. One would attract some unwanted attention from other male workers on site who jumped at the opportunity to help her :laughing:

·
Super Moderator
25,942 Posts
3 full time work for us, one seasonal. 2 office/admin and two painter/paint prep.

I'm sexist... I don't let the older lady climb tall ladders and none of let either one carry anythinf real heavy. They seem cool with it lol

Reactions: Cricket

·
Administrator
Community Manager
5,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
3 full time work for us, one seasonal. 2 office/admin and two painter/paint prep.

I'm sexist... I don't let the older lady climb tall ladders and none of let either one carry anythinf real heavy. They seem cool with it lol
It's tough for a woman to carry anything heavy in the state of Texas. Heck, I lifted a large case of water in Walmart and 2 men ran to lift it into my cart. :laughing:

Reactions: Texas Wax and Jaws

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
It's tough for a woman to carry anything heavy in the state of Texas. Heck, I lifted a large case of water in Walmart and 2 men ran to lift it into my cart. :laughing:
Guess that means you aren't ugly.... at least by Walmart standards.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,029 Posts
Aside from my mom who is our book keeper and my sister who does a few odd things here and there for us, we hired our first woman early last year.

She helped me carry a 72" vanity with a marble top attached to it up a set of stairs so I think she'll do ok.

She usually works with me and we do primarily cabinet and trim work in this season of the business.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
In my business the answer is NO. No applicants, no interest, not even a mild interest in learning and doing what we do.

8 years ago, had a women, who was the partner of a firm we had a working relationship with, really really wanted to come on board and learn what we do and do it.

I set up a organized training program, bought clothing in her size. Get everything ready to go.

Set up our first job.....she calls in sick the night before. Ok, that can happen. Two weeks later.....another "not feeling too good" excuse. Then she had to go somewhere outside the country, then it was something else.

After a month of excuses, I dropped it. I saw her for years after this, she never brought it up, nor did she offer any apology or just a simple: "I lost interest".

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Aside from my mom who is our book keeper and my sister who does a few odd things here and there for us, we hired our first woman early last year.

She helped me carry a 72" vanity with a marble top attached to it up a set of stairs so I think she'll do ok.

She usually works with me and we do primarily cabinet and trim work in this season of the business.
Oh dude give it a few months and your wife will be foaming at the mouth thinking you're boinking her LOL.

·
Always Learning
8,509 Posts
Our main painting subcontractor is a woman and there have been a couple from misc other subs. Most of the office staff at local companies are female. I have not hired any for our company nor have any ever called or applied when we had postings. At a previous company the bosses sister worked for a bit one summer and that was not a good fit. Not because she was a woman but because she didn't like manual labor...

·
Administrator
Community Manager
5,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Guess that means you aren't ugly.... at least by Walmart standards.

Or, they decided to help the little old lady. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
331 Posts
Some of my best subs are women-owned: plastering, painting, hardwood floors, glass contractor.

One of my project managers is a woman, and she is excellent! On the job at 6:45am, hard-working, smart, thorough. One of my best hires in many years. Currently overseeing construction of a 4.5 million$ home. She needs my help on a few things but all-in-all does a very good job.

·
Registered
12,021 Posts
Oh dude give it a few months and your wife will be foaming at the mouth thinking you're boinking her LOL.

Pretty sure you're joking but I'm going to speak for Travis and his wife.

He would never consider or do it, the thought would never cross her mind.

I do know them both IRL.

Tom

·
Registered
5,029 Posts

That's not my style, I think you know that.

My wife is not concerned.

Before hiring her I asked my wife it was ok. The nature of our work is working alone in unoccupied house's on a fairly regular basis. I wasn't going to put any strain on my marriage and the woman understood that.

She's my former pastor's daughter and been a friend for a while.

1 - 20 of 193 Posts