Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
7,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heres the story and Im sort of stuck on the right way to go with this one.

A good friend, actually was my best friend all through HS and up until recently when I had to seperate myself from him is out of work. He worked as a union roofer until late 2008, where he got laid off for the winter. During the time he was laid off, he got involved with drugs and eventually caught by the police and some how only got off with serving probation. His company never hired him back but his union hall found another place for him to work for a few months but when they were done they laid him off again.

Now, Ive done side jobs in the past with this guy and see him outside of work. Me, along with all our close friends agree that he is still involved in this stuff. (No one asks to trade a gift card for cash at 11 pm at night or asks for 20 dollars the night before an unemployment check comes). Everyone has tried everything they could do to help him but he does not seem to get it yet. He has been sued by credit card companies, car has been repossed, just kicked out of his parents house (nearly 26) and I believe he has no future and needs help getting things turned around.

Thats where I come in. He asked me for a job once we pick the work back up. I do not care what you do on your personal time but drugs and alcohol are NOT tolerated on the jobsite. I know from doing the side jobs with him he spends a lot of time on the phone talking to his "friend". End of 2008, I helped him do a job for his aunt, actually I ended up doing most of it and have not got paid and I wont.

As a friend, hes a great guy. As a worker he tries but is slower. I know the foreman of the company he worked for and he tells me he catches him hanging out in the trailer occasionally and is never on time. We have a policy if you're late more than 5 minutes 3 times out of the year your fired. I dont want to hire him, just to have to fire him and strain our friendship although most of it is in the past.

Would you guys take the risk and try to be the one who can help him out by having him work in a drug-free environment? I think he may believe that I will cut him slack because of our friendship but I wont. Basically, I dont want to be the resource for him to get drug money.

Any advice on what some you would do or have done will be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Heres the story and Im sort of stuck on the right way to go with this one.

A good friend, actually was my best friend all through HS and up until recently when I had to seperate myself from him is out of work.
Any advice on what some you would do or have done will be appreciated. Thanks.

Hired friends before some worked out some didn't . Bottom line is I hire help to make my workload easier and most importantly to make me money .
This guy is going to do neither for your company . Now if you want to be some sort of welfare for this friend go for it . Just don't be pissed when you realize that is what you are doing because it sounds like you already know the guy will bring no benefit to your company and only take from it .

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Same issues here Bam. I fired 2 brothers and refused to rehire them. We're still friends. Well, one is, other is dead.
And a nephew. He'll be back in jail soon. I have several friends that want work. I feel none are compatible and tell them I won't hire them. Still friends with some.
Bottom lines. You'll fire him and hurt the so-so relationship more than if you don't hire him. If he doesn't understand the situation, he never will. Who need friends like that.
When he, becasue of being drugged, or peroccupied thinking of his next hit, causes injury to somebody, of just costs a client their home, YOU'LL be holding the bag as he blissfully wanders around looking for another fix.

My brother is on the wagon and I use him at times, but it's very arm's lenght. All opinions are in the open and he knows I could take a hammer to his head at a moment's notice.

Do you want me to tell you how I feel about this issue? :rolleyes:

·
JimmyS
224 Posts
nope

Sounds like he would pretty soon violate your work policies. If you reprimand or fire him, you're the bad guy. If you don't and the other guys know it (and they will), you're the bad guy big time. If you don't hire him, you're only the bad guy for a little while. You sound like you know this.
The easy way to say is you don't have enough work to hire him. I'd probably add something frank like "things are tight right now and I can't risk something going wrong, which it has often in the past. I'd like to take the chance to help you out but each job has to work out just right in this troubled economy, blah blah."
So if you have the urge to help him, help him by telling him the truth about why he can't come to work until he's straightened out. It's a tough situation, but I don't see any way this works out to your advantage.
Jim

·
Registered
440 Posts
I agree everyone deserives second chances but ya know if your not gonna help yourself then im not gonna help you my .02

·
Trailer park boy
4,802 Posts
Stay away.

I started out with a partner who was a friend. He had substance abuse issues. Put on a good show for about 4 months then started to slip.

Thought I was ripping him off when it came time to remit taxes or pay WCB.

I ended up buying him out of the business ($34 was all he had left in the biz)

No more friends in my business.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Not only would I NOT hire this guy. He would also be off my friend list real fast. You're only as good as the people you associate with. IMO

·
Registered
440 Posts
Not only would I NOT hire this guy. He would also be off my friend list real fast. You're only as good as the people you associate with. IMO

that is very very true.. family and friends and business just doesnt mix IMO and experience

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
You're serious? Have you read what you wrote?

he got involved with drugs and eventually caught by the police and some how only got off with serving probation.

Me, along with all our close friends agree that he is still involved in this stuff. (No one asks to trade a gift card for cash at 11 pm at night or asks for 20 dollars the night before an unemployment check comes).

Everyone has tried everything they could do to help him but he does not seem to get it yet.

He has been sued by credit card companies, car has been repossed, just kicked out of his parents house (nearly 26) and I believe he has no future

I helped him do a job for his aunt, actually I ended up doing most of it and have not got paid and I wont.

As a worker he tries but is slower.

I know the foreman of the company he worked for and he tells me he catches him hanging out in the trailer occasionally and is never on time.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Have you come across the term 'enabling'? If you give this guy any work then that is what you will be doing.

The only person who can help him is himself, and until he hits the bottom he isn't even going to think about trying to get better.

Make it clear that you won't have anything to do with him until he has been clean for six months, then don't let him anywhere near you until he has achieved just that.

·
Contractor
4,767 Posts
if he is using now, your giving him a job isn't going to get him straight. He'll need to hit bottom like so many of the others, until he does and has his very own epiphany, you won't be helping him or your business.

if you want to help the guy, rehab in some way shape or form. have a heart to heart with him and explain that after a 60 or 90 day program and regular AA or NA meetings he'll be ready for a shot with your company.

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
have a heart to heart with him and explain that after a 60 or 90 day program and regular AA or NA meetings he'll be ready for a shot with your company.
That's a good way to go. Put the ball in his court. If he is ready to change he will take you up on it. If not you know what the outcome already would have been had you hired him.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
I think you already know the answer to your question and you are just looking for confirmation here. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
699 Posts
Have you come across the term 'enabling'? If you give this guy any work then that is what you will be doing.

The only person who can help him is himself, and until he hits the bottom he isn't even going to think about trying to get better.

Make it clear that you won't have anything to do with him until he has been clean for six months, then don't let him anywhere near you until he has achieved just that.
These were my thoughts as well. You can't help this guy as much as you may want to or think you can.

·
MHIC licensed contractor
154 Posts
if he is using now, your giving him a job isn't going to get him straight. He'll need to hit bottom like so many of the others, until he does and has his very own epiphany, you won't be helping him or your business.

if you want to help the guy, rehab in some way shape or form. have a heart to heart with him and explain that after a 60 or 90 day program and regular AA or NA meetings he'll be ready for a shot with your company.

I know you want to help your friend, but its impossible to fix these people, they have to fix themselves. NA is an essential first step.

If he can get into a program, then you can try to give him a shot, but i would ask him to attend meetings everynight, and provide signed slips showing that he's still attending, just like the courts around here require. If he stops going, he stops being an employee. Addiction does not have an expiration date.

This is pretty much the same deal i gave my own brother. It didnt work out so well for us.

·
Decorative Concrete
35 Posts
Sadly ,when is coming down to business you have to think first with your pocket then with your heart ...You are not a benefactor of humanity and you can't command everybody else's life ,I got horrible experiences with relatives and friends in my business ,so since 2008 NO one in my company is related to me in any way ,Except for working professionaly and with respect to each other.No one will love you or appreciate you more than yourself in this life ,so keep it tight and close .....

1 - 20 of 45 Posts