Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

hauling lumber w/ SUV

21K views 15 replies 13 participants last post by  alinagosh 
#1 ·
Anyone found a good rack that can hold a good amount of weight for an suv? An SUV is a better rig for pleasure and if i can haul some 2x and plywood i'm in business...

#7 ·
I saw a lady a couple of years ago pull out of Home Crappo with the following on her roof rack: about 40 2x4x8, 12 sheets of plywood, 6 sheets of drywall, and (this is the funny one) 4 bundles of insulation.

After laughing and wishing I had my camera I went in, picked up what I needed and headed out. The lady had made it about 4 blocks when she lost everything, including the roof rack!

I think those racks are rated for about 100 lbs

#9 · (Edited)
I have a suburban and I made a professional looking rack with 2x2 black square steel. Cost me under $100. It is solid as a rock and I carry my aluminum break up there as well as materials. I'd post a picture if I knew how :blink:
I took the seats out of the back and laid a sheet of plywood down. It works great for hauling plywood and tools. My surburban is the most vertsatile "work truck" I've ever had, and it looks good going to church (if I went) or going on a date. My dogs love it as well.

#11 ·
Not to knock your Suburbans, but I can't see how you can carry plywood, etc without taking tools out or moving them around to get it in there. I have a service van with racks inside with all my tools,etc in them & I still have to move stuff to put plywood in it & it fits upright & not laying flat like a suburban.. My van is 9 ft to the front cage.............. Sorry, but I cannot see a Suburban as being more Versatile ?????

#13 ·
I have a pickup and a Suburban. I use the Suburban more than the pickup. If it is raining everything stays dry. If you are the the HD parking lot you don't have to worry about somebody stealing something out of your bed.

You have to be careful how much weight you put on the top of your SUV. One because your center of gravity is now higher (rollover). Second most SUVs have a limit to the amount of weight you can put up there. Usually it's around 150 lbs.

#12 ·
Never had an issue with needing any type of racking for hauling anything with the Excursion. My wife has hauled more stuff with it than me though she may know more about it's limits. A sheet of plywood lays down in the back very nicely and they can be stacked rather high if need be.

With the diesel motor it also can tow quite a bit.

#15 ·
As to the suburbans, most my tools stay on the job I'm working on, and I can unload the truck in under 2 minutes as everything is in plasic bins or tool boxes. even with the tools I can slip a half dozen sheet on top of the tools. If I'm really stuck I take a 4 x 8 trailer with me, but that has only happened a couple times in the last year. The best part for me is that my tools always stay dry. I'd often forget some of them in the back of my pickup during a rain. The only thing I don't like is that I can pick up dirty, skinking, gas soaked, or rotting items.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.