Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Jeff
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Factory we do alot of work in had an injury today to a person in upper management from another plant. Caught his toe on top step on set of stairs busted his leg in two places, screwed up the knee on the other leg. Now im not sure how all this actually happened, but the top step is 3/4" higher than all the other steps. Stairs are now red flagged, no ones aloud to use them and they have to be replaced to within 1/8" variance. Maybe i look at things different, ive walked up these stairs many times and never even had a bit of trouble.

·
Jeff
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Hell no they've been there for like 200 years. probably what happened is the 15 layers of floor at the top. Ppl wonder why all our manufacturing leaves, businesses are closing. Everything has to be insured to death and idiot proofed. I mean for christ sake do you really need 5 signs telling you to not put your hand inside the 15 ton press? And imo that goes to show how much these stairs are not an issue, i know without a doubt they're original to the building and its gotta be 120 years old.

·
Maker of fine kindling
6,199 Posts
We installed a job a while back where we used an outdoor set of stairs on the side of the house to get in the master from the rear of the house.

The contractor broke off a chunk of one of the treads before we arrived. It split off about an inch or so all the way across the tread.

I must have tripped on that damn thing about every other time going up or down, didn't matter.

I realized 2 things; One, I'm getting old faster than I would like. And two, stairs with varying treads in rise or run really are a biotch. It's one code that I have always taken seriously.

Reactions: Tinstaafl

·
Jeff
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We installed a job a while back where we used an outdoor set of stairs on the side of the house to get in the master from the rear of the house.

The contractor broke off a chunk of one of the treads before we arrived. It split off about an inch or so all the way across the tread.

I must have tripped on that damn thing about every other time going up or down, didn't matter.

I realized 2 things; One, I'm getting old faster than I would like. And two, stairs with varying treads in rise or run really are a biotch. It's one code that I have always taken seriously.
Maybe its just becuase im young enough still and find myself goin up em 2 steps at a time. I can agree if its extreme differences though. Drives me nuts when ppl go down to the lumberyard and buy the 3 step stringers then end up with a 4 inch step at the bottom.

·
Maker of fine kindling
6,199 Posts
Maybe its just becuase im young enough still and find myself goin up em 2 steps at a time. I can agree if its extreme differences though. Drives me nuts when ppl go down to the lumberyard and buy the 3 step stringers then end up with a 4 inch step at the bottom.
Back in the olden days (80's) I was a project stupid intendant doing commercial work.

I built a couple steak houses. One of them had a sunken area in the dining room. Just a couple risers was all. I never got around to putting a handrail on it as it seemed like a PITA job with no real purpose other than to satisfy code.

The darn thing never got done and I didn't get busted on it.

Fast forward a few months and I drop by to have lunch. I get seated near that area. An old woman comes in and is being shown to a table down in the hole. Two risers with no rail was all she could handle. I jumped up and helped her down the stairs.

Next day there was a handrail.

Oh the good ol days

1 - 6 of 6 Posts