Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

Has anyone worked as a flooring subcontractor?

4K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  ArtisanRemod 
#1 ·
Hey Guys

Quick question: Has anyone here worked as a flooring subcontractor? and is it worth it?

I seen a posting for a sub-contractor position for hardwood, laminate and engineered flooring. I haven't had any luck getting in touch with the manager this past week. I miss her every time I call, and when she is back in the office I loose track of time and when I realize it she's gone home for the day. I figure this might be a way to grow business a little, plus from what I seen from some of their installers they are pretty busy. They are doing the building I am working in at the moment, and they have 73 units to floor and another crew to tile.

However, my thoughts are. Is it worth it? Pay is piece work for sure, but is it very little? Would there be sufficient amount of work..etc..

If anyone has any experiences even if it not with flooring subcontracting, it would be helpful.

#8 · (Edited)
Either you are no contractor, or you are a very subtle and funny guy.

But about your original question:

It would be tough to do if you don't have significant experience working on a flooring crew already.

I and my crew install flooring - wood, finished and unfinished, engineered and solid, vinyl, linoleum, tile. I do great quality, fine work. I could never hack it as a flooring sub - I don't know nearly enough to install a variety of flooring types to someone else's spec, efficiently enough to make money and to make the contractor and the owner happy.

Edit: As Charimon says, try to hook on with a good crew. I don't think you should do it for free, though. You'll learn about the trade and you'll figure out if you can make money at it as a sub.

#5 ·
To answer your question, I sub for several local flooring contractors and it works out well. If I have an opening in my schedule I can usually fill it with one of them with just a few quick calls.
I like the fact that it's in and out and get paid. No time estimating, chasing material, chasing money.
I do know that some of the larger places will try to pay you as little as absolutely possible. I have no interest working for them.
Good luck

#6 ·
However, my thoughts are. Is it worth it? Pay is piece work for sure, but is it very little? Would there be sufficient amount of work..etc..

If anyone has any experiences even if it not with flooring subcontracting, it would be helpful.
So what you ought to do is follow those flooring crews home to see what kind of mansions they live in, what style of yachts they sail on, what country clubs they belong to, which exclusive private schools they send their children to, how many fancy cars they have.

Finally, and most importantly check out their wives and girl friends. When your that rich you're going to get a VERY hot wife but that's not all. You're also going to have a slew of hot girlfriends on the side.

Ahhhhhh, this is the life!

#7 ·
I am a Tile subcontractor. I love it. My prices are all sf or per item. Premiums for 1/16" and 1/8" joints, large format 20x20+, pattern work. . .
They pay for tile. I ask for no money down but expect to be paid with in one week of invoice. I do 70%of my work for two large companies the other 30% for several smaller remodelers.
The people I work for know I have no interest in stealing their clients, which seems to be important to them.
I suggest that you find an experienced guy or crew and offer to hangout and help them free if they will show you all their tricks. Trust me If you pick the right guy ti will be one of the best investments you can make.

#9 ·
Subbed off and on for years. Not nearly as much money as doing your own jobs, but can be steadier. The problem I have had is showing up ready to do a job and the site is not ready and you have to reschedule. Or they want you to do something that you know will fail. Or they sell only crap.
You may have to hunt to find someone good to subcontract for. I gave it up years ago, except for a rare occasion.

#10 ·
If you are working in the Toronto area I hear the going rate for a sub-contractor to install pre-finished hardwood is about $1.00 sqft. For me that rate isn't enough to make a living, for some guys it may be. I live about an hour from Toronto and one store I work for has several installers doing the commute from Toronto everyday as the rates are so terrible there. Not to sound prejudiced but the minorities have basically ruined the trade there working for nothing. Rates in my area are the same they were 10 years ago. That being said there is always a demand for QUALITY work. You won't get rich but I have managed to make a decent 6 figure income for the last several years with the majority of my work sub-contracting for 2 different stores. There are installers doing the same jobs for the same stores that are living pay check to pay check. Good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.