Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a new saw. I can get a pretty good deal locally on some Stihl stuff, but they left a bad taste in my mouth years ago with hard starts and terrible anti-vibration.

I have used some Makita stuff in the past and while it seemed a bit underpowered they always did their job.

While browsing around I saw their 4 stroke saw and I would really like to try it out, or hear from others that have tried it.

I don't think there is any dealers around here.

·
Love me some Concrete
1,834 Posts
I looked at them too, had bad reviews and I had heard of a few problems, so I went Huskqvarna.

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I looked at them too, had bad reviews and I had heard of a few problems, so I went Huskqvarna.
I am tempted to go with Husqvarna, my beat to hell saw is a Partner and it is a beast, when I can keep it together, the thing rattles itself apart.

Two separate people in the last two weeks told me they didn't like their Husky, one guy said basically the same as me, that it wouldn't stay together, and the other said his runs great but starts harder than hell and eats air filters constantly.

Stihl, from what I recall of the older ones, were easy to work on, but vibrated the hell out of your hands and had a crappy filter system.

The Makita's were solid, but underpowered, hardly any finicky issues with them other than taking too long for cuts.

In our line of work I guess it is to be expected that dry cut saws just get the snot pounded out of them, but I would like the best yearly return on one that I can get with the easiest maintenance.

I just want to get my hands on a few different models and actually try them out before plunking down a grand on a saw that won't cut it (pun intended)

·
Love me some Concrete
1,834 Posts
Mine is the new 760. It starts great, not on 2nd pull but if I wouldn't flood the thing it would help! Power is good and they have new vibration dampening handles and its nice. I hadn't heard anything about the filters, that might be the older one, I read they addressd filter problems and mine has had no problems, granted its only a bit over a month old.

I ran the Stihl and it vibrated more IMO, plus was more expensive. I have both Stihl and Husk chain saws too and don't notice a difference in eithers quality and I have a large acreage and used both a ton. In fact, had less problems with the Husk!

I looked at the bigger (970 I think?) in Husk but decided the cost difference and weight difference weren't worth the power gain. I use it to cut blocks and green concrete, both of which it rocks through. But a new blade and it cuts old concrete really well.

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A rental place close by is pulling their saws out of the fleet and getting new ones this week.

I can snag a TS420 for $400, he said its about 11 months old.

For that kind of money the payoff on it would be pretty quick, I think I am going to get that one for now just to replace ol' denty.

I am still going to look for one of those 4 strokes to demo though, I love those little Honda 4-stroke motors.

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Stihl offers a new electronic fuel injected engine on 2 of their saws I see..

But a Honda 4 stroke is tough to beat.
I had the option of getting one of those too for $600, same age as the 420.

Although it seems pretty sweet I am leary of electronic components. Even when we play paintball all my stuff is mechanical, something breaks it is an easy fix, not a circuit board that got fried.

·
Love me some Concrete
1,834 Posts
I had the option of getting one of those too for $600, same age as the 420.

Although it seems pretty sweet I am leary of electronic components. Even when we play paintball all my stuff is mechanical, something breaks it is an easy fix, not a circuit board that got fried.
I know exactly what you mean on the electronics, the 4 stroke would be awesome! I have a Stihl commerical trimmer that is 4 stroke and I love it but I guess I am waiting til more companies start using them in demo saws to make sure all the bugs are worked out.

Paintball huh? I might have to start a new thread on that! A couple of buddies and. I have Pain Acres Paintball, they run it on my land basically, I am just too busy!

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
I love my ts420, starts easy and the anti-vibe works well. I'm not sure how much you use one, but this is not an item I would buy from a rental shop. I bought mine new and have not regretted the selling price.

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, I showed up and the 420 was back out on rental.

I asked to see the 500i and ended up walking out with that one. He said he has sold 20 of them in the past year and hasn't seen one come back, and a big commercial company has about 10 more on order.

He said the big advantage he's seen on his fleet is that since there is no carb then there are no carb issues due to sitting or crappy gas. There is also no choke, just turn it to on and pull it over. It fired up cold on the second pull right in the shop.

I will definately put it through it's paces. If it gives me less trouble than the two year carb rebuilds I tend to do on all my equipment then I guess it will be worth dealing with electronics.

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I love my ts420, starts easy and the anti-vibe works well. I'm not sure how much you use one, but this is not an item I would buy from a rental shop. I bought mine new and have not regretted the selling price.
I have had really good luck buying rental equipment at various shops. You can tell which ones service their stuff and which ones don't.

The shop today is a major player in just about everything that you can strap an engine to. Very good people to deal with, so I trust that their rental fleet is decently maintained.

At half the price of retail the payoff time will be halved. If it lasts any longer than that it is just helping me make more money.

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Paintball huh? I might have to start a new thread on that! A couple of buddies and. I have Pain Acres Paintball, they run it on my land basically, I am just too busy!
I would like to dabble in it when I get older, I think it would be an interesting way to cover property taxes.

For now we just play scenario games a few times a year, it is tough to find time to play a lot, but for a couple weekends a year it is an awesome way to just unwind.

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Bump

Have you tried the saw yet? Curious how you like it.
Used it twice so far.

Can't ask for better really, starts right up and runs without screwing with the choke. Maintains power through the cut great and is much lighter than it looks.

They fixed the vibration issue from years ago too, very comfortable to run.

·
Love me some Concrete
1,834 Posts
Cool, glad to hear. My 760 can be a bit of a bear to start, just don't get how they can't get the technology to get stuff to start right off the bat.

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Cool, glad to hear. My 760 can be a bit of a bear to start, just don't get how they can't get the technology to get stuff to start right off the bat.
The have it now.

If you think about just how old the tech is with carburetors is it is amazing we having gone beyond it yet.

·
Registered
683 Posts
All I can tell you is that once you go to the Makita 4 stroke you wonder what took so long. The Makita saw is the easiest start, has good power, and it takes out that chance of some rookie forgetting to mix oil and gas. Quiet too.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts