Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
I recently looked at a job (remodel) in which the HVAC Contractor installed a new Central Heat & Air system. Instead of one single large return, he installed about 8 small returns, one for each room. Am I wrong or does this guy need his head examined?

While I have a basic understanding of HVAC, I am not experienced enough to ascertain the potential problems this installation may cause (other than having to find a whole bunch of small return filters) if it is not replaced/reworked. I have no idea who these follks hired for the HVAC work, licensed/unlicensed, or whatever. I have already suggested that the work will have to be redone correctly to the owners.

datajam

·
Jeff
1,485 Posts
I was always under the impression the building will heat/cool more evenly with better return air placement. If you've got a bedroom door closed with 1/2' carpet clearance underneath how are you gonna push air into that room without pulling some out first? Especially in this day and age of sound proofing every room of a house. Think about your exhuast fan in your bathroom you go in take a shower lock the door it doesnt seem to do anything, you get out and crack the door an inch so it can pull air and the rooms cleared in 30 secs.

·
Registered
238 Posts
You shouldn't have to have a filter for each return? I have returns in each bedroom of my house. But, they are common, between the joining rooms.

·
Sean
5,533 Posts
As I recall that is the best system, but most business won't bring it up due to the cost and added hassle. All the returns come back to a central trunk & you put an inline filter in that duct before it enters the AC Unit.

Now what would be cool is to have one set up high, one low & be able to switch over - During summer AC is blow in via the lower set of ducts, return air via the upper set & vice versa during the winter months

·
Pro
670 Posts
Every room, large closet on an exterior wall and in some cases large hall should have a return and supply. The only exception to this is kitchens and baths, they get no returns. Sometimes during retrofits a large centrally placed return is used, but this is only if you can't get one in each room.

I think you should have asked this question before you said anything to the H/O.

·
Hardhead
362 Posts
As I recall that is the best system, but most business won't bring it up due to the cost and added hassle. All the returns come back to a central trunk & you put an inline filter in that duct before it enters the AC Unit.

Now what would be cool is to have one set up high, one low & be able to switch over - During summer AC is blow in via the lower set of ducts, return air via the upper set & vice versa during the winter months

I hung a house that was set up like this. The HO really knew his sh*t. He also had geothermal heat/ac, solar power and a capture/sprinkler system tied into his downspouts. I drove past his place the next summer and his yard looked like an oasis among all the dead lawns because there was a fine for watering lawns.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
While I have a basic understanding of HVAC, I am not experienced enough to ascertain the potential problems this installation may cause (other than having to find a whole bunch of small return filters) if it is not replaced/reworked. I have no idea who these folks hired for the HVAC work, licensed/unlicensed, or whatever. I have already suggested that the work will have to be redone correctly to the owners.
You had no business talking to the HO without talking to your boss and the HVAC contractor. It is quite possibly a very well thought out and well designed system. Multiple returns are common in commercial work. Do you even know where the filters are?

You should have asked the HVAC guy why he did this, and could have received a well thought out answer. What was on the mechanical plans? Or the mechanical proposal?

Does your boss know any of this? What if you're wrong, and the HVAC guy is right? Because of your stupid big mouth, the HO's want the HVAC system ripped out. But the HVAC guy can easily claim that there is no reason to re-do it. Who's going to pay? Your boss may well be kicking in cash just to keep the peace, all because of your ill considered remarks

As others have said, well built systems have returns for each room. The fact is most houses do not because this is one way to cut costs without the effects being too deleterious. While your less than basic understanding allows you to open your mouth about problems which probably don't exist, your less than basic understanding does not allow you to realize the benefits of correctly installed multiple returns

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Anti,

With you on this. I certainly wouldn't want some one with a rudimentary knowledge telling my homeowner how I should do my job. Now the HO is probably thinking wtf is going on. Data,go set it right and tell the HO you didn't understand the HAVC conditions , etc..

olzo

·
Pompass Ass
2,090 Posts
I recently looked at a job (remodel) in which the HVAC Contractor installed a new Central Heat & Air system. Instead of one single large return, he installed about 8 small returns, one for each room. Am I wrong or does this guy need his head examined?

While I have a basic understanding of HVAC, I am not experienced enough to ascertain the potential problems this installation may cause (other than having to find a whole bunch of small return filters) if it is not replaced/reworked. I have no idea who these follks hired for the HVAC work, licensed/unlicensed, or whatever. I have already suggested that the work will have to be redone correctly to the owners.

datajam
You need your head examined.

It is obvious you have no clue what you are talking about.

In the future before giving advice, make sure you know what you are talking about.

BTW I am a Licensed General Contractor as well as a Licensed HVAC contractor.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Am I wrong or does this guy need his head examined?
WRONG #1 - If you are unsure of anything. Ask your own HVAC guy. You do have your own HVAC guy - right?

While I have a basic understanding of HVAC, I am not experienced enough to ascertain the potential problems this installation may cause
WRONG #2 - Then you should not stick your nose into areas that you lack experience in. Again, talk to your own HVAC guy first.

I have already suggested that the work will have to be redone correctly to the owners.
HUGE WRONG # 3 - You were way out of line, W-A-Y out of line.

Congratulations, the HO is now going to think you're an idiot, when the HVAC contractor gets done confirming/explaining/showing: Your lack of experience in the construction field, and your lack of professionalism in this situation.

3 strikes = Ever think about trying another profession?

·
Curmudgeon
11,706 Posts
"Manager for GC"?
You manager to stick your foot
in your mouth, and manage to
create trouble for the HO, your boss,
and a sub who does his job well?
You have decided that all of the
low end corner cutting jobs you have
seen are industry standards and then
go on a crusade to spread your ignorance.
You should hurry to apologize to all concerned,
then beg your boss not to fire you.

Here is a tip.
In the future, try to have some facts
before you have an opinion. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
I have no idea who these follks hired for the HVAC work, licensed/unlicensed, or whatever
I missed this part. Not only do you apparently not know what you are talking about, it is not even closely your business.

If I read this right, the HO's are acting as their own GC, and hired their own HVAC guy? If so, they chose to not use your bosses expertise as a GC, and his ability to get the optimum product from his subs, in order to get a lower price. If so, screw ups by their people are their business, not yours. They shunned you, get it? So they buy their own mistakes.

But this is probably moot anyway, cause my guess is that the HVAC installer brought in a good product.

I would be done with your **** monday morning

·
Registered
34 Posts
First Off: I would like to thank everybody that called me a dumbazz, idiot, stupid, and so-on and so-forth. Although I may appear that stupid, in actuality I am not. While I did tell the HO that I thought the HVAC would have to be redone, I did stress my lack of knowledge on the subject, further advised I would have to do some research, and even said that "in theory" the system should work fine provided the "air-flow calcs" were properly done.

I then did my first research in to the matter by posting my question here in hopes of receiving an inteligent response that would leave me a little more prepared for dealing with the matter that I was at the start. And thak you again for your informed responses, it is appreciated.

I did my second research by tracking down the licensed HVAC Contractor, who turned out to be a guy that I have known for about four years, who further provided me a little education on the subject and even accepted some constructive critisism on proper placement of these feeds and returns. The HO was informed by myself that the job was done correctly, that the HVAC Contractor had done a good job, and the project will be subject of Building Dept inspection within the next few days (rough mech, elect, plumbing) I took the contract to my Boss for approval this morning, and we start the project tomorrow.

Now, for the rest of you "jump-dead-in-my-shiz" folks . . . the world is really not full of idiots that derail fellow contractors because of stupidity, it just seems that way. I seldom make really stupid decisions and with the exception of the few of you that chose to ridicule me for asking my question, I still think asking the question here was a good idea.

datajam

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Oh, I have to follow-up with another point. In all 55 years that I have been alive, owned multiple properties, and so-on and so-forth . . . never have I observed an HVAC set up like this. No home I have ever owned, new or used was configured like this. Sure, I have seen multiple returns. Maybe two or three, never like this. I am used to seeing a large duct ending a larger returns with filters. Heck, I've seen homes with multiple Heat-A/C systems, but until now never a configuration like this. Man, what a bunch . . .

datajam

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
First Off: I would like to thank everybody that called me a dumbazz, idiot, stupid, and so-on and so-forth.
You are welcome!

Now, for the rest of you "jump-dead-in-my-shiz" folks . . . the world is really not full of idiots that derail fellow contractors because of stupidity, it just seems that way. I seldom make really stupid decisions and with the exception of the few of you that chose to ridicule me for asking my question, I still think asking the question here was a good idea.
Asking the question here is not a stupid thing, telling the homeowners a misinformed opinion before gathering your facts is very egregious.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Do You See "Contractor" Anywhere In My Name!

On each and every job we look at I stress to the customer that I am not a Contractor, I'm a Manager for a Contractor. I manage men, materials, contracts, and customer contact. Almost everything I do is followed by, "I'll need to check it out."

And, to top it off I have a boss that requires I learn by being in the frying pan. In other words, when I do not know something he makes me go get the answer. He answers some of my questions with a chuckle, other times he points to a book, and other times he says let me know the answer when you figure it out. And, I appreciate it.

I do make the occaisional mistake, but not so often as to become a hindrance to my company. But why am I defending myself. It would be much simpler were responses made relevant to the question posted. I didn't ask anybody what they thought of my conversation with the HO. I asked an HVAC question. When I want or need your (anybody's) input on my management practices, I will ask.

I am not trying to be rude or offensive but five out of eight responses to my question did not in anyway answer my question. I have had everybody from a corporate big shot to a dipstick take pot-shots at me for three days and frankly I have had enough. If you do not want to help someone with an honest question, then shut up and let those that are willing to do so, do so.

·
Pompass Ass
2,090 Posts
On each and every job we look at I stress to the customer that I am not a Contractor, I'm a Manager for a Contractor. I manage men, materials, contracts, and customer contact. Almost everything I do is followed by, "I'll need to check it out."

And, to top it off I have a boss that requires I learn by being in the frying pan. In other words, when I do not know something he makes me go get the answer. He answers some of my questions with a chuckle, other times he points to a book, and other times he says let me know the answer when you figure it out. And, I appreciate it.

I do make the occaisional mistake, but not so often as to become a hindrance to my company. But why am I defending myself. It would be much simpler were responses made relevant to the question posted. I didn't ask anybody what they thought of my conversation with the HO. I asked an HVAC question. When I want or need your (anybody's) input on my management practices, I will ask.

I am not trying to be rude or offensive but five out of eight responses to my question did not in anyway answer my question. I have had everybody from a corporate big shot to a dipstick take pot-shots at me for three days and frankly I have had enough. If you do not want to help someone with an honest question, then shut up and let those that are willing to do so, do so.
You are the one who set the negative tone of the thread with your 1st post.

datajam
http://dir4construction.com

1 - 20 of 41 Posts