Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read the books and like what I see. I contacted a coach and got the prices. It is a lot of money and I want to be sure its worth it. I need help in my business!

I have read some of the posts on this forum. I can understand other opinons. I do believe something like this would work for me.

Thanks, Tim

·
Painting Contractor
1,881 Posts
I've read the books and like what I see. I contacted a coach and got the prices. It is a lot of money and I want to be sure its worth it. I need help in my business!

I have read some of the posts on this forum. I can understand other opinons. I do believe something like this would work for me.

Thanks, Tim
I started the teleconferencing version of it.
I quit two sessions later.
A month or two later I was sent congratulations for the successful completion of it.
They did't even know I was missing.
If they could't get their systems to work for them...

The book is good, they are just trying to milk it to death.

·
Registered
1 Posts
e-myth

Nobody ever completes e-myth - that would end the cash flow from a paying customer. Our company completed about 18 months and found it helpful but very expensive. We actually paid more for e-myth than my brother paid for an MBA. The school of hard knocks seems to be the best method of learning business. We learn something every project. The bottom line is to know your numbers.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm a continual student of hard knocks. I was hoping to find a better way. There must be a better way. I don't think one can learn some of the best methods on his own.

Maybe I should just go back to school and get an MBA. Forget about all this pain in the rear, find a nice office job. I'd probably go crazy from boredom.

"The bottom line is to know your numbers" I'm sure thats where its at. And not to have any employees (excluding office help and supurintendants). Just sub it all out and concentrate on the numbers and customers.

·
Banned
599 Posts
ugg smith.. with subs you let them determine what people think of your business. You might as well forget about referral-based business building - the sub will get them all!

E-Myth is an awesome tool and concept. You HAVE to build systems and procedures in your business. Otherwise.. what happens when you get hit by a bus?

Ever ask yourself "what would happen to my business if I was unable to work IN it for a month?".... scary for a lot of people.

Of Course the Gerber wants you to buy buy buy from him... you determine what's best for you. If you're implementing the knowledge... it's a worthwhile investment. Otherwise - jsut buy the book and read it.

·
Registered
7,182 Posts
Ask Grumpy

I believe that the e-myth revisited is Grumpys favorite inspiration from what I have read of his posts. Contact him to post his feedback. I think you wil value his opinion.

Ed

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
"with subs you let them determine what people think of your business"
I don't really have any choice in commercial construction. We do too much now on jobs, if we take on more work I will have to use subs on just about everything.

If I can't work for a month? I'll just go ahead and file for bankruptsy.

I would value grumpy's opinion. For some reason I can't figure out how to pm him. Maybe something to do with me being new to the forum?

How about Alkyd reading his posts he may have some expirience?

·
Registered
7,182 Posts
You need 20 post minimum to pm others. You can search previous threads or posts individually though on the topic.

Ed

·
Registered
481 Posts
ugg smith.. with subs you let them determine what people think of your business. You might as well forget about referral-based business building - the sub will get them all!

Last year we did $1,400,000 in referral business. This was a full 37% of our business last year and we only use subs. If you treat your subs right, they won't try to steal business from you. You also need to have a plan on how to get referrals from your past customers. It's also important to say that a plan is not enough. You need to have a plan and then you need to work your plan. Then you need to inspect what you expect. My only point with this post is that you can do a lot of referral business using subs.

·
Registered
212 Posts
The only E-myth book I have read is E-myth contractor. I read it two years ago (three years into my business) and got some good things out of it. But then I read it again last month (five years into my business) and I got a whole lot more out of it.

I think that as our business progresses we start having new insights. It's like after having dealt with a very difficult customer for a month, Yeah it really sucks that you had to deal with them. But... You have gained new insight into your business that books cannot teach you.

At any given time I am reading three to four different books on ,motivation,business,self confidance,selling,ect ect....

I pick up different parts from each book and apply it to my daily life and business. I try to reread them every two years or so and I constantly learn new things.

I even read a book on how to build your Amway business ( I don't have an Amway business) and I gained some insight for my construction business.

I personally wouldn't pay a ton of money to learn some fancy system, But I will gladly pay $10 or $15 for another book

Mark

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I did not think I would pay a lot for a fancy system. But now as I get older and realize I'm running out of time to push this business to the next level I think a knowledgable coach would be an asset.

I don't want to reinvent the wheel. Especially if there is a proven system to grow a business faster than I can.

The point is if it costs 15,000 but the return is years of making good profits and being able to provided the proper benifits for my employees and me wouldn't it be worth it?

·
A proud craftsman
118 Posts
At any given time I am reading three to four different books on ,motivation,business,self confidance,selling,ect ect....

I even read a book on how to build your Amway business ( I don't have an Amway business) and I gained some insight for my construction business.

I personally wouldn't pay a ton of money to learn some fancy system, But I will gladly pay $10 or $15 for another book

Mark
Mark
One of the things I learned from Jim Collins was NOT to read more than a cpl (2-3) of business books out of every 20 books I read.
That always made a LOT of sense to me for obvious reasons. How many ways can you say the same thing? I'm attaching a link to a page from Jim Collins' website of the books he has in his suggested reading library list. I think I've probably read more than half of these books before I even heard of JC which was one of the reasons he was so attractive to me. I was kinda shocked at some of the books he has listed. Shocked in a really good way.
You can learn a lot more about biz from things other than biz books.
Look at "The Art Of War" for instance. I think I read that book maybe 30 years ago and only a few years ago I noticed in an article in the NY Times they had that on a suggested reading list for major Wall Street CEO's.
Anyway...you might wanna check out Jim Collins and the HedgeHog Concept if you already haven't and check out his suggested reading page. http://www.jimcollins.com/lib/readingRoom.html
Good luck
Namaste'
andy

·
Registered
212 Posts
Thanks Andy

I will check it out.

Other books that I like to read are bio's of people that were succesful. I love the story of how they started and what it took to get where they were in life.

I read a small article about how subway got started. It was very in tersesting and motivated me in my business.

Mark

·
Banned
599 Posts
Have you seen the pursuit of Happyness starring Will Smith yet? EXCELLENT movie and life story. It's truly the ultimate "as bad as it gets to as good as it gets" story.

Read the story of the guy the movie is about (Chris Gardner) here - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Gardner

Good movie. I went with the Mrs. thinking it was a "chick flick". I really enjoyed it - bought his biography the next day.

·
A proud craftsman
118 Posts
Have you seen the pursuit of Happyness starring Will Smith yet? EXCELLENT movie and life story. It's truly the ultimate "as bad as it gets to as good as it gets" story.

Read the story of the guy the movie is about (Chris Gardner) here - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Gardner

Good movie. I went with the Mrs. thinking it was a "chick flick". I really enjoyed it - bought his biography the next day.
Hey NETPRO
Yeh, I bought that book too on my way to Jamaica to read on the plane over the holidays. Very cool story. I don't think anything helps more in business or in life than inspirational true stories. All the "tech stuff" in business is right there in books, on the web, in schools or even GOOGLE...Its the motivation that lacks in most of us.
I think Papillion was the first motivational book I ever read wayyyy back when by Henri Cheri. If that doesn't let you know that anythings possible if you want it bad enough I don't know what would:rockon:
Be well
Namaste'
andy

1 - 16 of 16 Posts