Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
New to the forum. I know this is a little bit of an old topic but im a big hart hammer fan. From when it was still hart tool company owned by Bob Hart. The company was sold out in 2002. Those of you saying the pre dead on hammers still had soft metal dont have real bob hart hammers. Prior to the disbursement of the company in 02 they were still forged in the usa. I have about 10 true hart hammers that have 10-15 years of abuse that still have waffle. Nails, concrete, rebar, wedge anchors, ive beat on Just about everything possible used to frame a house and a real hart hammer can withstand it all. The new hart hammers you can buy at home depot are a pretty looking home owner special. Ive tried just about every brand out there when it comes to hammers. I have quite a collection of all brands. Just my opinion but nothing compares to a good old fashioned hart. If anyone is looking i just saw 2 new old stock hart 25oz hammers on ebay... $220! I think i paid $30-$60 for all mine back in the day.

·
Vendor
218 Posts
I have lots of em, the heads at least. They feel good to swing, balanced well and all that but the steel they used was WAY soft. Waffles disappeared quick, groove between claws wallered out fast- not a great hammer at all compared to a dalluge. Now THAT is a hammer made with good steel. I like my stiletto 14 now.
Dalluge are my fav, ironic you swing a stiletto bc I have had way too many complaints about the waffles on the ti hammers going flat.

·
GC/carpenter
41,015 Posts
I cut my teeth on a Vaughn California Framer. I want to say 24 or 28 oz. Been so long I can't remember. Haven't used one since the 80's.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Right now I carry a dalluge 16 oz smooth face titanium. Best hammer in the history of the world for exterior finish.
Do you know if those dalluge handles are compatable with the similar douglas head? I have a douglas that needs that handle but cant find one since douglas is gone.

·
GC/carpenter
41,015 Posts
Do you know if those dalluge handles are compatable with the similar douglas head? I have a douglas that needs that handle but cant find one since douglas is gone.
Don't know, they sure look like they do. I think I heard somewhere dalluge bought that design from Douglas. If so, I'm thinking the handles fit.

·
GC/carpenter
41,015 Posts
Here's what I found from a review on Amazon

"I bought this to use on an old douglass tool hammer. the dalluge is patterned after them and i could not locate any proper douglass handles. fits perfect, compleatly interchangeable with douglass 20 oz., and includes hardware and allen wrench".

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0046710KW?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=od_aui_detailpages00

·
Registered
3 Posts
21 - 30 of 30 Posts