Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How Much Is Hardiplank Siding Installed Per Square On New Construction In Illinois ?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Grumpy said:
Hello Herm. Are you a building owner or contractor?

I am from the Chicago area and install hardie siding.
REASON FOR ASKING I LIVE IN NEW LENOX , I TALKED TO YOU PREVOIUSLY ON THIS SITE ABOUT THE ROOFING , I WAS WONDERING ABOUT THE SIDING ALSO, I WANT TO INSTALL HARDI SIDING ON MY HOUSE EITHER DO IT MY SELF OR SUB IT OUT.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Grumpy said:
Is there a tear off involved? How many stories? What type of hardiplank (exposure)? Number of windows and doors to trim around? Soffit and fascia?

These are all variables I'd need to know to spit out a price.
NEW CONSTRUCTION, APPROXIMATELY 8 WINDOWS , 2 DOORS FRONT AND SLIDER IN BACK, 20 FT HIGH ON THE SIDES, HOUSE IS BRICK FOUR SIDESWITH THE UPPER LEVEL SIDING. EXPOSURE I REALLY DON'T KNOW, NEVER WORKED WITH HARDIE BOARD I'M JUST CURIOUS TO SEE HOW MUCH A SQUARE IT COST'S INSTALLED COMPARED TO VINYL. DO THEY SELL ALL THE TRIM PIECES AND DO THEY SELL A WIDE SELECTION OF PRE-STAINED COLORS. HOUSE IS 3200 S.F BUT THAT IS BRICK ALL THE WAY UP IN THE FRONT AND 3 SIDED 9 FT HIGH SIDES, SO THE REST IS SIDING 3 SIDES AND , 2 DORMERS. THANX
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,573 Posts
Some guys sell only 4 colors that the FACTORY prefinishes. I am special. I can sell any color cabot or olympic solid stain, which gives you over a hundred choices. Average exposure is 6", you buy a 7.25" board for this.

From what you described I think labor and material is about $440 a square installed with two coats of stain (25 year warranty). Add extra for soffit and fascia, $16/ linear foot for 1' soffit. I could be way off here because this is a site unseen guesstimate.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Grumpy said:
Some guys sell only 4 colors that the FACTORY prefinishes. I am special. I can sell any color cabot or olympic solid stain, which gives you over a hundred choices. Average exposure is 6", you buy a 7.25" board for this.

From what you described I think labor and material is about $440 a square installed with two coats of stain (25 year warranty). Add extra for soffit and fascia, $16/ linear foot for 1' soffit. I could be way off here because this is a site unseen guesstimate.
SO THE STAIN IS ALREADY PREFINISHED ON THE BOARD THEN RIGHT EVEN ON THE SPECIAL COLORS YOU CAN GET.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,573 Posts
Yup. It's stained exactly the same way that Hardie stains theres. It's just stained at a different location. Cabot and Olympic lease the liscense to the technology used to pre-finish the boards.

I can get 1 coat primer, or one coat primer with one coat stain, or one coat primer with two coats stain.

When I do a job prefinished, I have the manufacturer send me pre-stained caulk and a gallon of touch up stain also. This way everything matches from day one!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Grumpy said:
Yup. It's stained exactly the same way that Hardie stains theres. It's just stained at a different location. Cabot and Olympic lease the liscense to the technology used to pre-finish the boards.

I can get 1 coat primer, or one coat primer with one coat stain, or one coat primer with two coats stain.

When I do a job prefinished, I have the manufacturer send me pre-stained caulk and a gallon of touch up stain also. This way everything matches from day one!
thanx again grumpy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
318 Posts
Herm - we don't deal in hardiplank, but trust me - sub it out. The stuff is like drywall in long thin strips and you need a pro who knows how to handle it. It's tough and will look beautiful when installed right but if you haven't used it alot you'll burn through a lot of material cost in chipped/broken siding.

Tim
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
TimWieneke said:
Herm - we don't deal in hardiplank, but trust me - sub it out. The stuff is like drywall in long thin strips and you need a pro who knows how to handle it. It's tough and will look beautiful when installed right but if you haven't used it alot you'll burn through a lot of material cost in chipped/broken siding.

Tim
thanx for the info tim
 

·
Custom Builder
Joined
·
4,406 Posts
Tim's right about one thing......poor workmanship sure shows on Hardi. I could tell you stories that curl your teeth, they still curl mine. It's not the product to use if you have a soup kitchen installer.

Bob
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,573 Posts
TimWieneke said:
Herm - we don't deal in hardiplank, but trust me - sub it out. The stuff is like drywall in long thin strips and you need a pro who knows how to handle it. It's tough and will look beautiful when installed right but if you haven't used it alot you'll burn through a lot of material cost in chipped/broken siding.

Tim
The funny thing is Hardie markets their product as a DIY product.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
318 Posts
"The funny thing is Hardie markets their product as a DIY product."

Lol - just like the Home Depot's DIY tool rental section with Bobcats.

Tim
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
318 Posts
races

Screw races. Let's rent 2 and recreate that chicken scene from "Footloose". :D :Thumbs:

Tim
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,471 Posts
I liked 'soup kitchen installer', good mental image.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
83 Posts
I install alot of James Hardie siding products. I did not see anyone mention the MSDS.
(Material Safty Data Sheet) This is a VERY hazerdous material to install. You must wear protection for breathing at all times while cutting it. For this reason we stopped using a saw and went to shears for cutting it. The proper equipment for installing this siding is expensive. A homeowner with little or no experience with this type of material should strongly consider and installer that is familiar with this product.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,573 Posts
Dust collectors on your saw and proper face/eye/respirator protection makes it a breeze to cut.

I've never used the shears. I have seen them, but have never seen their cut. I would imagine it would be somewhat rough as compared to a saw.
 
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Top