Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my house & I want to learn as I do mostly remodeling. Thought it best to start here.
Instead of asking a lot of questions, does this sound correct? Working with 100 yr pine and staining it walnut.
EZ8- sand 36, 60, 80
Edger- sand 36, 60, 80 use edger same grit at same time as belt.
Trowel floor- timbermate (suggest products) hardwood is nailed to joist, over crawl. I was worried about srink & expanding. Right now there is a lot of air flow underfloor.
Sand-100
Vac, tack, tack. (What best to tack with)
Should I pop the floor? Pine, walnut oil stain
Stain- work about 5' section at a time & wipe up. (can I do this solo) would like to use Lowes cc. Recommend stain -minwax, Cabot, Rust-oleum.
Next day- oil poly gloss
Next day- (should I sand between coats of poly) 220? Buffer pad? Can I hand sand?
Gloss poly
Next day-Satin poly.
Have a cup of Joe. (Maybe I should start with a cup)

·
Particulate Filter
4,430 Posts
Why are you staining the floor? Oil poly has a nice amber tone. Staining adds complexity that you probably don't need.

Get rid of the lambs wool. Cut in with a cheap oil brush and roll it with an epoxy glide roller cover. There will be no sags or lumps. The coverage will be very even.

·
Focusing on solutions.
Hardwood floors/custom cabinets
5,844 Posts
My suggestions are in red
This is my house & I want to learn as I do mostly remodeling. Thought it best to start here.
Instead of asking a lot of questions, does this sound correct? Working with 100 yr pine and staining it walnut.

If you're not experienced in running floor sanding equipment, stain adds a huge element of difficulty. It's going to show every flaw in your sanding.

EZ8- sand 36, 60, 80
Edger- sand 36, 60, 80 use edger same grit at same time as belt.

Start with the finest grit that will get the job done. I prefer to start with 40 instead of 36. Doesn't sound like much grit difference, but the scratch pattern is quite a bit less believe it or not
Trowel floor- timbermate (suggest products) hardwood is nailed to joist, over crawl. I was worried about srink & expanding. Right now there is a lot of air flow underfloor.

Full trowel filler on soft woods like pine don't always work well. Filler is harder than wood & when it expands, the filler can be pushed up

Sand-100
Vac, tack, tack. (What best to tack with)

mineral spirits

Should I pop the floor? Pine, walnut oil stain

water pop the edger work & it'll make it easier to clean up
Stain- work about 5' section at a time & wipe up. (can I do this solo) would like to use Lowes cc. Recommend stain -minwax, Cabot, Rust-oleum.

if you can find a supplier, rustoleum nano stain. Professional grade, not homeowner grade. Search rustoleums site for distributors that can order it

Next day- oil poly gloss
Next day- (should I sand between coats of poly) 220? Buffer pad? Can I hand sand?
Gloss poly
Next day-Satin poly.

Buff between coats either with a 100 or 120 grit sanding screen, sand dollar or maroon pad. Be careful not to burn through the stain. I almost never get calls for gloss finish & I try to discourage everyone that believes they want gloss. Shows imperfections in floor & shows dirt easier, as well as scratches.

Have a cup of Joe. (Maybe I should start with a cup)

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
almost never get calls for gloss finish & I try to discourage everyone that believes they want gloss. Shows imperfections in floor & shows dirt easier, as well as scratches.
I was using gloss for the first first and second coat with satin on top. I have read that multiple coats of satin will get dingy. Is this correct.
Thank you for your time and effort.
Rex

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
I have read about using twin, string to fill gaps. I can live with most of the gaps, with the exception of a few. Has anyone done this? Would you advise; good, bad?
Ive never done it biut it wont harm anything..if the gaps are big enough you can rip slivers on a table saw.. and glue them in..

cut on a slight angle to form a wedge like shape and drive it in..sand away

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I would probably 36 then 80, but if it's your own house and time is not an issue you could 60 it too. On stain jobs I palm sand the edger line with 80. Then i hit the whole thing with a used 220 screen on my buffer. I vac well with back pac vac with felt floor attachmrnt. I dont tack. I use min wax usually. Stain a few feet at a time rubbing as i go. Ive never waterpopped so no help there. Most jobs are satin but I have heard that gloss is harder and can be used for first two coats. Only topcoat matters when it comes to sheen.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.