Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
I usually do all my prefinished with staples, and solids the same, it's really more of a preference type of deal, and in certain cituations depending how had the wood is its better to use cleats.

·
Feedin the geese
336 Posts
I only use cleats on certain species (always with Bamboo) since they split the tongue less. However, I staple everything else- they hold better.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Certain hard hard exotics will reject staples and you'll have better success with cleat nails (Tigerwood, some Brazilians - IPE, Jatoba). Cleat nails won't split the tongues as easy either.

I've put down a handful of oak floor with staples, in both OSB and Plywood floors without any problems at all. I've gone to Cleat nails now though as more and more I'm doing exotics, and splitting boards was an issue.

Out of curiousity - who has two nailers, one staple, one cleat?

·
Registered
6,102 Posts
On our upcoming project the flooring is an engineered product, solid oak veneer top, solid oak core with grain running opposite, and solid oak bottom veneer running parralel with the top.

I contacted the manufacturer, and they want it nailed only, no staples, no glue.

Just for your info. Always need to comply with the manufacturer as to not void the warranty.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts