Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
House built in 1963 Living room dining room 3 bedrooms all have hard wood floors underneath carpet which are original to house. How much do you think it would cost for me to get them all refinished so there standing tall. Had a contractor over on another job. He said those are the old maple hard wood floors if you got them refinished they would add value to your home. He said when house was built in 63 they used excellent wood floors back in those days. He did say something about seeing how there is carpet over all the wood floors they might have to patch the nail marks from the carpet. Could someone just give me a ball park price . 1963 Ranch style house living room dining room and 3 bedrooms rooms are just regular sizes like you would see back in those days. Sorry I don't have exact measurements just looking for ball park figure . Meaning am I looking at a 1000 dollars or 2000 dollars or 3000 dolllars just give me general ideal please. Thanks 747

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Save those floors! Your contractor was right. Solid maple floors make me drool! You can consider the nail marks as 'character' but I would make an attempt to lessen them.
Contact a local refinisher for pricing. There are quite a few on the board from IL, maybe they know. Hang on for a while.

·
Banned
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Teetor....Will hang on figure checkback in a day or two someone with hardwood floors expertise will reply...

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
747, I have the expertise, you just don't want to hear my prices.

·
Banned
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
teeter

Why would you say that teeter. I just want a honest answer. I'm single and a pilot for american airlines. I travel with my laptop and any hotel I'm laid up in always has plug in access for internet. Since finding this website I participate the best I can. The only expertise I can offer you is airport or flying questions. Anyway the contracter said Ballroom dance floors and NBA floors are made out of maple. He said if this was new contruction and The owner wanted the excellent high grade old school maple floors like you have for the living,dining,3 bedrooms a ballpark estimate would be 15000-20000 dollars. I had no ideal they were worth that kind of money. This is my parents house I grew up in. When they retired I bought it from them. My father said he carpeted over the floors a year after he bought it. 65 because the floors were cold in winter. The contracter told me to get 2 estimates. First regular refinishing estimate. 2nd a ballroom floor refinishing estimate. He said if you wanted them to be breath taking spend the extra money and get a ballroom floor finish on them. Well don't no what else to say....Later teetor :Thumbs:

·
Registered
163 Posts
One more thing 747, do not, I repeat, do not shop this job on price. This is the type of thing that only a true craftsman should be doing. The type that charges a fair price for his services. If you go the route of who can give me a deal, you are more than likely to get a less-than-desired result. Seriously screen your prospective contractor. Do plenty of research before signing that contract.

best of luck,
Don

·
Custom Builder
4,406 Posts
Re finnish hardwood? I'd ask a 1.75 to 2.50 a SF. That's everything out of the way and ready to go. 2 swipes of stain and 1 swipe of urethane.

If I have to deal with nails it can go up a little, heavy grid drum belts are not cheap, and nails put a hurting on them fast, so you have to make sure they disappear.

Have they ever been refinnished before? I'd check this out by removing a section of base board, if they have, you will see a dip up under the base.

If you knock them down too many times, the drum sander will hit the tougue nails.

Just food for thought.

Bob

·
Banned
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thinking about doing them like this

I'm thinking about getting a older timer to do them. Someone with many years of experience. Thinking about getting the ballroom dancing finish on them. I don't no what that is called but you guys no what I mean The finish that looks like glass. I no this is probably more expensive then a regular finish like guy above just said he does but like Don says pay to have them done right and if I got like the NBA basketball or Ballrooming dancing floor finish on them they would be stunning and everybody who came over would say WOW :Thumbs: Meaning the shine you see on a NBA basketball floor which I was told that is maple

·
Registered
66 Posts
Local refinisher that I use usually charges me $2.75 per sq ft for sanding,1 swipe of stain and 2 coats of poly. $3.25 for 3 coats of gym floor finish. This is for empty rooms and the quarter round or shoe molding removed. Stairs are usually $10.00 per step and raiser. He just finished doing 2500 sq ft and two stair cases for me. 102 year old house on the historic registery all quartern sawn oak floors 1" narrow strips. Looks great.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
747, IMHO this type of floor deserves the best. I like that you have chosen an old craftsman, not too may left anymore. He will take longer but should produce a topnotch job.
I still find water based urethanes too soft for flooring. Maple should not have to be stained, enjoy it's natural color and configurations. An oil based varnish will accentuate these, as will time.
I charge $6.00 sq. ft. to restore old flooring on the flat, I use some old formula finishes that were once used on ship decks. For $1.00 a ft. more, I can make your floor look 50-200 yrs. old. I don't 'distress' anything, it's just in the finish.

·
Flooring Guru
2,794 Posts
There is a huge chance that it will increase the value of the home. But only a Realtor will know for sure.
Just to be extra safe, see if you can get a consultation on it.
Some homes in some areas will not sell for a dime more no matter what upgrades you put in it.
I doubt you live in one of these areas, but best to be sure.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts