Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Working on a deck at my own home that had existed when we bought the house 15 yrs ago. Fully sanded the sucker a few times and finally had it with the old thing last year.

I ripped off the shot 2x6 pt from the 24"oc 2x6 joists.

Deck is freestanding and set away from the house. It's about 24" off ground, and partially surrounds a semi-inground pool.

Undecided on synthetic vs pt going back on. Will add new joists between the existing ones to make 12"oc if going with new made made.

Because the cut ends will be up against the pool I am hesitant about going with capped composite. Thinking about PVC, unless there is someway from preventing pool water/moisture from getting into the open ends on composite.

This is a deck that gets used for only about eight to ten weeks max out of the entire year and I am torn between big budget and doing annual staining.

Also considering making it a 12x15 instead of 19x16 deck to save money on synthetic and give me a bit more room in the yard.

I realize every brand has good, better & best lines.
Read good things about Azek and I see Lowes has THIS STUFF

Its says composite in title but specs list it as pvc. Any good or should I just play it safe and avoid BigBox altogether?

The existing joists seem to be okay but have a lot of splits and holes in the top. Should I remove them and flip them over or will joist tape work in keeping water out?

·
Registered
288 Posts
Not sure if this helps. But I have a similar setup. 15 or more years ago I covered everything with the original Trex composite decking. Also I even removed the pools metal top rails and made new ones out of trex. That part took a little time. But anyway it still looks good and no problems.
Except for some fading but not from the pool water since if was all over the main deck also. Just ended up having the stain the deck.
I have to assume that most of the newer deckings are even better. If a laminated composite the raw ends would not look good. Why not rip the sides off a couple of boards and cap the raw ends.

·
Artist and not a curator
14,214 Posts
Don't think you want to hear this but that existing frame has to go and there is no competition between man made and pt. Pt looks like :censored: acts like :censored: and wears like :censored:.

Go man made the PVC decking moves A BUNCH. Use a quality synthetic like capped fiberon or trex and be done with it and build it the way you like the design. Just my opinion but I wouldn't put a long term solution on a short term frame.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Yes, the framing materials are generally very low in cost, compared to the decking. Maybe not with PT decking. That framing doesn't look like it should be saved. Poke those cracks with a ice pick and see if the wood is soft around those cracks and old nail/screw holes.

Be aware that composites are generally hotter to the feet then wood.

If you can afford Azek, you can afford ipe.

·
Premium Member
Retired deck builder
6,316 Posts
I wouldn't waste much money on a deck going on to an old above ground pool. The pool & the old deck frame have some age to them already & not that much life left in them. Throw some new treated on there & get a few more summers use of the pool & be done with it.

·
Talking Head
5,388 Posts
Instead of PVC you could use Trex Select of Fiberon Pro-Tect and put the money you saved towards the materials for a new frame. Then you have a decent frame that will make the most out of the composite boards.

·
Don
1,322 Posts
15 year old frame spaced 24 OC and made from 2x6 spanned that far apart is a DEAD frame now, get rid of it and make some steps to the pool, when you have the money hopefully someone from here will give you a hand

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Yeah, been looking it over and examining the joists and the whole frame. Dug down till I hit the footing on one of the posts and the 4x4s still seem in good shape. The three support beams dub2x10s are in fine condition too. No splits or rot.

Going to rip off the joists & rims and rebuild to 12x15. Need to add 3 new posts bc the rip out will be inside the end posts. Prob will add an extra post on each beam also.

Going to stay away from composite altogether.
Looked at some samples at a place thats only business is man made decking & rails.
They had Azek Arbor pvc for $3.49 linear. Didnt like the Harvest for $2.99. Not enough color variation and grain was too muted for my taste.

So my supposed $700 pt rip/replace is looking to be a bit more with the reframe, pvc & new rails.

Seems that the project I get in my head always triples in price AND workload with every one I do - once I start to access the reality of it :thumbsup:

There goes my tax return :wallbash:

Thanks guys

1 - 10 of 10 Posts