Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
669 Posts
It depends on the day, weather, job conditions, location, open area room, bath-rooms, hall-ways, etc. and type of wood you have? Tools are a plus also? What type of equipment do ya have? Many factor can play a part in this!

·
Registered
240 Posts
How much square feet should a professional play in a day of 3 inch hardwood
Well few of my guys seem like they play more then they work sometimes. So it's kinda hard to say. :clap:

Coffee break, lunch break, pee break, cig break, cell phone break ...it can all factor in. :furious:

·
Focusing on solutions.
Hardwood floors/custom cabinets
5,716 Posts
My best day, with myself, my wife & one helper was 1100'. Wide open running, balls to the wall all day.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Very hard to state an average IMO

Open run in a box room or annoying little hallways with turns, closets, radiators or floor vents?

Does that mean a 7.5 hours non-stop with a half hour lunch break?
That can get real old after day 3.

Seems like the first 4 starter and last rows can take just as long as 50 rows in the middle of a small room sometimes.

Are we talking about prep too?
-Comfort discussion with customer and 20 questions?
-Hauling tools in & out. (long front walk up 15 steps and rooms on 2nd floor of house?)
-Hanging plastic
-Dealing with subfloor squeaks.
-Cutting door jambs.
-Sweeping & scraping up all the crap left over from the electrician, plumber and spacklers.
-Shop vac the edges or possibly the entire floor.
-Don't forget about carefully removing existing base molding, numbering all the pieces and pulling all the nails out because it has to be reinstalled.

I like to rack out the entire floor before we start to nail. That can take quite a while in a big room. I know some guys only like rack a foot out but that's too annoying for me.

Hell, all that stuff I listed can take as long or longer then the actual field install and a pissy annoying job may end up with only 200' going down.

All that aside, if the whole thing is prepped, racked, set up and ready to nail from row 5 and on in a giant box room - I would think one guy should do at least 500'-600' of 3".

Posib more but I know other stuff will suck up time and its hard pressed to get a non-robot worker to go full blast all day every day.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Clarification more of an average. Not worst or best case. Now every job has floor sqeaks, or jambs and small closets too.

Older house. Flooring is prefinished. 2000 sqft. And im getting a bunch of different timelines. All 2 guy crews. Some people say 2 days and some say 7 days. They all work 8 hrs. I dont noo there breaks lol the could be in the bathriom all day for I know. Just need some what of an accurate time line. And day less or m9re is fine

·
Focusing on solutions.
Hardwood floors/custom cabinets
5,716 Posts
Clarification more of an average. Not worst or best case. Now every job has floor sqeaks, or jambs and small closets too.

Older house. Flooring is prefinished. 2000 sqft. And im getting a bunch of different timelines. All 2 guy crews. Some people say 2 days and some say 7 days. They all work 8 hrs. I dont noo there breaks lol the could be in the bathriom all day for I know. Just need some what of an accurate time line. And day less or m9re is fine

I'd budget 5 days, but would probably be done in 4. Really depends on how cut up the job is. If there's a lot of halls, closets, small rooms, ect would really make the difference.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Older house. Flooring is prefinished. 2000 sqft.
2 men 2 days on 2000' prefinished?
In & out?

GFL on that! Check for nailer crushed lips and tool scratches on that bad boy.

Yeah, at least 5 days IMO.

...seven seems a bit high, but I didnt see the jobsite so it may not be a crazy time frame

·
Paul
4,120 Posts
With a 3 man crew we average 600sf/day with furniture, carpet demo, prep, and shoe mold install. New construction the average jumps to around 800. Our best day to date was 1700sf in a wide open room - no prep (job was slc'd ahead of time). My personal opinion is, if a 2 man crew can't average at least 400ft/day they need to find a new profession.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts