Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've recently removed 2 walls and 1 closet in order to create an open flloorplan and enlarge my living room. The result is a series of 3' wide gaps in the hardwood where the walls previously were located. Both rooms had carpet down and I'm going to remove that to show the oak flooring below.

I need some suggestions on removing the old pieces to hopefully reuse ( combined with some new) to tooth-in and fill the empty spaces.

I'm also considering laying a boarder of a different species of wood to help segregate the new space... any thoughts?

Appreciate any comments.

Thanks
E.H.

·
Registered
163 Posts
E.H. said:
I've recently removed 2 walls and 1 closet in order to create an open flloorplan and enlarge my living room. The result is a series of 3' wide gaps in the hardwood where the walls previously were located. Both rooms had carpet down and I'm going to remove that to show the oak flooring below.

I need some suggestions on removing the old pieces to hopefully reuse ( combined with some new) to tooth-in and fill the empty spaces.

I'm also considering laying a boarder of a different species of wood to help segregate the new space... any thoughts?

Appreciate any comments.

Thanks
E.H.
Sir, are you a contractor or the homeowner? I ask because, and don't take this as callous, but our endeared host(Nathan) has a sister site here. This is the place that would be most appropriate for a DIY-type question. Most of us go to that site regularly and can assist you there. If I'm mistaken forgive me, but it's better to keep this site for contractor's and the other for DIY'ers.

with kindest regards,
Don

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Don,
Fair question. I am a contractor but the primary focus of my business in in the concrete masonary trade. In this case though, I am also the homeowner. I've only installed hardwood 6 or 8 times and it has always been in the new construction phase... I realize the question sounded a bit novice, but while previously removing hardwood on a past project very few pieces were salvagable to reuse, thus the reason for asking for tips to an unfamiliar situation...
I'll check the diychat too
Thanks
E.H.

·
Registered
163 Posts
That works for me. At least you're not a total civilian. If the floor is the sand and finish type and you can get the same species that would probably be your easiest bet. Now, I don't do sand and finish so I have really no idea whatr this would cost compared to any other option.

Now, a border of a different species could look really nice but you'll need to take into consideration the total size of the room. Would a 3' border be too big for the area? If so, perhaps an inset border would be more pleasing to the eye.

Either way you will probably want to refinish the origonal floor to bring out the origonal beauty.

These are just food for thought. I'm not quite as knowledgeable about wood solutions as some others. Do you know how your existing oak is secured to the floor? Stapled, nailed? Is the entire floor secure?

Don

P.S. Welcome to the board. We have a good community here. Stick around after your project. We could always use more heads to share with and learn from.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Howdy,

Just encountered the same problem with a torn out wall cutting the room in half. I ripped out the smaller area and saved the wood to mix with the new wood. On the larger section of the floor I staggered the boards by cutting to the next joint, or creating my own stagger with a router and chisel. Lots of work!! Completely worth it. The clients were floored.
Good luck!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts