Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning on laying 200 square foot of 3/4" x 2 1/4" oak hardwood. How do I ensure the first row I lay is straight? I know of the 3-4-5 technique but I am skeptical of any wall being straight or any two walls being square. The way the room is laid out any thing less than perfect will be very noticeable. Any tips or help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
163 Posts
You can measure the width of the area at both ends and snap a line dead center. This will split the difference for you. You can then measure even distances away from your center line to determin your starting place.

Did I explain that alright?

If the width of your area is 24' at one end and 23' 8 on the other end, mark 12' and 11' 10" for your center line. you can then measure the same distance on both ends based on flooring width to find the start position. The very last row against the wall will get contoured to that wall. This should make both walls being ripped to sploit the difference.

Don

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
Yeah, I was going to suggest something along those lines, and just snapping a line against your starter wall and seeing how the wall looks in regard to straightness, then moving that snapped line out from the wall and starting from that line, that will give you a straight edge to start with.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Mike Finley said:
snapping a line against your starter wall and seeing how the wall looks in regard to straightness, then moving that snapped line out from the wall and starting from that line, that will give you a straight edge to start with.
Thats when we say eh, "....Oh just eyball it!"

Looks great as long as it looks strait

·
Registered
1 Posts
kah1593 said:
I am planning on laying 200 square foot of 3/4" x 2 1/4" oak hardwood. How do I ensure the first row I lay is straight? I know of the 3-4-5 technique but I am skeptical of any wall being straight or any two walls being square. The way the room is laid out any thing less than perfect will be very noticeable. Any tips or help would be appreciated.
I always start my layout from the center as already discribed. Thenn........
I measure to the wall i'd like to start on. If the starter peice is say 2.5 inches, thaen i'll measure out 2.5 inches plus tow full boards and mark this at both ends, chock this line, and nail a straight bord to that line(the inside)
Now i can start to lay the wood with a good backer to push agenst. All else gats done i return, remove my backer and finish to the wall. the filler peice now can be scribed to the wall exactly.
works every time.

·
Registered
12 Posts
There ain't no perfect and never will be.

In a small room like that, I would take about 10 of your boards and lay them side by side to be able to make an accurate prediction of how many rows you will end up laying across your room. Leave a 1/4, or half in. against each wall for a gap. If you calculate for example 21.25 rows, subtract one.
Then you will need 20 full rows, and a .625 (5/8) of a starter row, and a finish row. You will end up with some variation on that, but it will be negligible, and as long as your end rows appear to be more than half width planks, they will look good. A full plank at one wall and a 1/4 plank at the opposite will draw your eye, more than you would ever believe.
If this is no help, xin loi, it is hard for me to explain stuff when I can't wave my arms around in the air.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Old way, split the start wall, end wall and take mid measures as you can get them. Average them by a few pairs of eyeballs and pop a centerline, measure from this.
It may not be square or anything else but it will fit the structure.
I'm giving my whole book away! :eek:

·
Custom Builder
4,406 Posts
Measure both widths, add them togeather measure the length, go back and measure both widths because you forgot them, add them to the length, deduct the square root of the distance to your mothers house, count your material, then start all over because you forgot your measurements again.

Hope this helped.

Bob

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Bob, I'm out of beer. Want to deliver?

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Yeah, we're freezing too, supposed to go below 70 tonight. I'm thinkin' of a few laps in the pool to burn off a few cals prior to the superbowl. Doin' some fall off the bone ribs, keg-o-beer, deepfried okra, conch fritters, 40# blue crabs (got nice Lousiana jumbos), jambalaya, black bean and yellow rice, dirty rice, Bahamian peas and rice and that's just what's coming out of this kitchen. My sister is doing 2 prime ribs, garlic bread and ziti, 6 other households are also contributing.
I'm back on the steroids again, going to take a lot of laps to control this.
For any of you considering steroids for other than their intended purpose, they suck. Even for their intended purpose, they suck. I'm bulking up allright, had to buy pants with the stretchy sides. Gained 7# last time and didn't lose all of them even with the flu.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts