Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Design/Build Remodeling
6,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my current project, we just had the hardwood floors refinished – Three coats of “commercial, oil based, satin, polyurethane”. The final coat went on yesterday about noon.

When is it safe to:

• Walk on it?
• Put the furniture and area rugs back on it?
• Put Ram Board down so I can finish the kitchen? Can I tape it down?

Over the years I’ve gotten way too many different answers to these questions and I’m hoping to get definitive answers to these questions.

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
Who makes the polyurethane? Can you call them and ask? If it's oil, I would guess a couple days before you could walk or put furniture on it.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Oil modified urethane takes 30 days to fully cure. I wouldn't put rugs down less than a week after. The best "definitive" answer is to not use oil modified finish in any situation where time is a concern. Water is better in every way, and now it's pretty easy to get the look of oil if you know what you're doing. Water is fully cured in 7 days and pretty close to done in 36 hours.

·
Registered
Design/Build Remodeling
6,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oil modified urethane takes 30 days to fully cure. I wouldn't put rugs down less than a week after. The best "definitive" answer is to not use oil modified finish in any situation where time is a concern. Water is better in every way, and now it's pretty easy to get the look of oil if you know what you're doing. Water is fully cured in 7 days and pretty close to done in 36 hours.
Now you tell me :censored:

·
Super Moderator
11,937 Posts
I'm dumb, but my hardwood guy tells me when it's good to tiptoe, walk with socks, cover the floor, and finally when it's an all go.

I just trust him for what I tell the client and repeat it to them.:jester:

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
EVER. It is entirely possible to pull a layer of poly off if the coats weren't abraded well enough in-between. I do not like any trade traffic on top of a newly finished floor, so we sand and finish last. I tell a homeowner it's usually safe for light foot traffic with socks 18 to 24 hrs after last coat, Usually. Drying times vary and I make that clear to them in writing.

·
Particulate Filter
4,430 Posts
I like to crank the heat to 80 and wait 48 hours after final coat before I put down paper and tape. Blue tape of course.

You can get sun fading very quickly in high light environments so it can be wise to cover it all or cover none of it.

I've never had a problem with this in the eight years I've been doing hardwoods and I do 90% oil floors.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts